Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

by BobLI

Theres a pic on todays Daily Star showing demolition of a building the the heading The D & H no more. Looks like a very large RR building. Can any one tell me whats being demolished? Engine house?
  by march hare

Looks to be the last main shops building, located just north of the tracks. I think it was known as bldg 7.

If so, its a historic loss. The main shops buildings at Oneonta dated from shortly after the construction of the A&S, making them some of the oldest RR shops anywhere.

Practically anybody who visited Oneonta up to the 1990s would have a pic of this building, at least in the background. All the power laying over at Oneonta would be parked either alongside this building or popping out of the west end.
  by BobLI

March Hare, thanks !!
BTW are you going to the Holiday train on sat? I was thinking of catching it in Delanson.
  by march hare

Planning on seeing it at Oneonta, then following it in the dark to Cobleskill, and maybe beyond to Delanson. In previous years, the Delanson show has been the best from a viewing standpoint. But the sight of it across the valley as you follow it along is pretty cool, too.

BTW, it should be deadheading south Thanksgiving morning. They have a gig at Rouses Point just before midnight on Wednesday, then it's a clear run to Scranton from the looks of things. Word has it that there will be minimal traffic on Tday (pretty much just amtrak and the NS trains) so the Holiday Train will have the RR to itself.

If i were really ambitious, I'd get up with the ducks and try to catch it before dawn north of Saratoga.

(No, I'm not that ambitious. I have a perfectly warm, comfortable bed and am reluctant to abandon it in the morning.) But the dear spouse has bought into the idea that I make the boys disappear Thanksgiving morning so she can cook in peace. They will enjoy the chase, and if by some miracle the sun comes out, I may be able to get some decent daylight shots going over Richmondville Hill. I have some really nice night shots, but have never been able to get a decent daytime photo.
  by CPSD40-2

I posted this to the D&H Yahoo List as well....
The company I work for salvages old wood from demolished buildings, and we worked with the demolition contractor over the past few weeks to reclaim nearly 3 semi loads of timbers. The building will live on, as we will produce wood flooring, millwork, and other woodworking projects from both the White Pine and Heart Pine lumber that was used for the roof trusses. Being a D&H fan myself, we'll be really pushing the history of the building and of the D&H as a whole. If anyone has any photos of this building, please contact me as we'd really like to get some different photos from any time period for the marketing materials.

Thanks - and Happy New Year!
- Jered