• My most recent Amtrak Expreince (Train 95 & 194)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by mlrr

Hi guys,

Well my last Amtrak experience on the NEC was as always, enjoyable. I took train 95 from Stamford, CT to Richmond, VA last Thursday 10/7/04. The train lead by AEM7 916 was approximately 15 to 20 minutes late but the train wasn't crowded when I boarded and I was fortunate to find a seat in the newly refurbished 8200 capstone Amfleet I coaches. Usually they are filled up while the older cars are virtually vacant, lol (go figure).

Because of track work along the corridor we added minutes to our delay. I noticed as we passed through CP216 at New Rochelle that at the tail end of the consist was the corridor clipper. What excited me even more is that I saw it operating with its pantograph up. I couldn't wait to get to Union Station and get a photo of it. I knew that it would be taken off the train there and my assumption was confirmed when We reached Union Station. Between Philadelphia and Wilmington, our train was subject to many what I guess are caution and warning signals. I would say our average speed was about 55 to 65 MPH. I would attribute most of this to MOW as every time our speeds were reduced, workers were out making repairs.

Passing by the Wilmington Shops I saw one of the prototype viewliner sleepers in phase III. I would say that I was fairly excited to see that too. Overall the yard did not seem to have much activity going on.

We arrived in Washington D.C. approximately 30 minutes late give or take a few minutes. I managed to get some shots of the corridor clipper as it was being uncoupled from the train. The workers there seemed to appreciate my enthusiasm as I watched the operation. I also noticed that one of the cars on the consist was 82064. I actually kit bashed a phase IVb with that road number and I always like it when I see the prototype road number in service. What are the chances of seeing the prototype road number that you modeled? At the other end of the train, AMD-103 number 198 took the place of AEM7 916.

There was more room to move about the train when we departed Washington D.C. Not long after emerging from the Tunnel onto the CSX main, we were hit with a stop signal. The Head conductor who I remember from a previous trip (he remembered me too) was telling me how he was trying to get hold of the CSX dispatcher to get permission to proceed however he could not reach him. We sat there for a bout 10 minutes max before the Engineer was given the go-ahead to proceed. It was then that I realized why Amtrak trains operating in CSX territory are always delayed. Some of our late time can be attributed to boarding large numbers of passengers at stations like Alexandria.

The train arrived in Richmond almost 1 hour late. We pulled along side the Silver Star which was re-fueling at the time. Not long after I saw the Auto Train pass through the station. I was shocked with the number of Auto racks (I think that's what they're called) at the tail of the train. How much ridership does the Autotrain actually see?

The return trip was not as exciting as the trip down. (This is mostly due to leaving my friend after having a great weekend and having to work the next day, lol). Train 194 arrived 10 to 15 minutes late with AMD-103 number 6 and did not honor time for those who wished to smoke at this "designated smoking stop". This did not affect me as I do not smoke. The train to my surprise has a "lava lamp" coach in it. Phase V still lingers! What was even crazier was that the road number of the coach that I rode down in was 82077 and this coach's number was 82076. What are the chances of that sequence? Of course I had to ride in that car since it may very well be the last time that I get to ride in an Amfleet I in phase V.

We did not get too many bad signals on the way back. We arrived in Washington DC at the time we were supposed to depart making us 20 minutes late. I got out to take pictures of the locomotive switch and HHP-8 number 658 took the place of engine number 6. Overall the train would have been on time if we had not experienced the delays in VA on the CSX's ROW. I made note of our time performance and we did not loose or gain any minutes. My estimates for arriving in Stamford were accurate.

Well that is basically my most recent Amtrak experience and as always the experience never gets old. This is I guess what you can call my first Trip Report. If so, please let me know how I did and make any suggestions for future reports!

Thank you for allowing me to share my experience with you guys and I look forward to your feedback!