• Why is Amtrak Refurbishing Sleepers?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by AmtrakFan

Why is Amtrak Reburshing the Superliner 1's when they got a ton of Wreck Repairs with 32016 I can understand scince It was wrecked but this next one is Not a Wreck Repair 32068 so why are they doing these when they have like 50 Wreck Repairs to get out My Idea would be to Reburish the Wrecked Cars that can be.
What Sleepers are left Wrecked Heres the list
So is their is a reason they can't get those cars reburised instead of a Non Wreck Repair?

AmtrakFan

by RMadisonWI

Are each of those five sleepers repairable? Maybe they are to be scrapped, or perhaps they are waiting for parts before they can start to rebuild those.

The other sleepers aren't getting any younger, even if they aren't wrecked.

by updrumcorpsguy

RMadisonWI wrote:Are each of those five sleepers repairable? Maybe they are to be scrapped, or perhaps they are waiting for parts before they can start to rebuild those.

I had read somewhere that some of the damaged cars were waiting on some sort of insurance proceeding before they could be repaired. I don't know if that's true or not, but it would explain it.

In the meantime, I agree that they should be cycling the existing fleet through. I was on 32069 last summer and it desparately needed work. My room wasn't so bad once I cleaned it, but not everyone goes to such extremes ;-)

by AmtrakFan

RMadisonWI wrote:Are each of those five sleepers repairable? Maybe they are to be scrapped, or perhaps they are waiting for parts before they can start to rebuild those.

That is always possible also I know 32005 is Repairable I was already a Wreck Repair also it was in the CNO Derailment only 215K in Damage.

AmtrakFan
  by jp1822

I would have hoped that Amtrak would cycle through the sleepers that need minor repair work (but on the wreck/repair list) to be cycled through first. Your mention of the City of New Orleans sleeper quoted at $215K (as I believe you were referencing), is a prime example of this. But nonetheless, Amtrak seems to surprise me these days with their equipment utilization. Anyway, all of the current Superliner 1 sleeping cars need some sort of refurbishment - even the younger Viewliners are showing too much age. I have been on some real Superliner 1 lemons. Lately, though my Superliner I experience has been somewhat better or lucky (I've been assigned to a Superliner II or somewhat refurbished Superliner I). Cushions, comfort, and functionability of the bedroom/rommette/car are becoming more and more of an issue. And considering the price paid, it's something (of many) Amtrak should pay attention to.

by John_Perkowski

We don't know what type of funding is needed for wreck rebuild. It may well be Amtrak has to wait on insurance $$$, or may have to wait on a judge releasing the car from lawsuit evidence.

It may also be that US DOT has placed constraints on how Amtrak may spend the money, and that life cycle rebuild of a serviceable car CAN be done, while wreck rebuild CANNOT be done.

We're not at 60 Mass; we don't know the limitations on the bucks.

John Perkowski

by AmtrakFan

That quite correct Mr. Perkowski we are not in D.C. also with the $215K I was refuring to 32005 the Wreck Repair.

AmtrakFan

by Ken W2KB

I would suspect that the sleepers being refurbished have experienced significant internal equipment inoperability and other issues that would cause passenger complaints. They probably needed to be taken out of service for that reason and could be brought back much more quickly than repair of wreck-damaged cars.

by David Benton

overhauling existing sleepers effectively adds to the avaliable fleet , in that it would raise the Avaliable % . or in other words less cars would be needed because less cars woul be "bad ordered ".(excuse the terminology , I'm sure Mr Norman and others know the industry's term) .

by AmtrakFan

Yes that's true reduces failers. Also how many Wreck Repairs are left.

AmtrakFan

by Mr. Toy

Superliner Is are a quarter century old now. They are simply wearing out. Rebuilding them simply extends their useful life, and improves their reliability, at a fraction of the cost of a new car.