• WNYP Unionized

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by boblenon

Apparently the WNYP is now a union shop - at least for Engineers & Trainmen:

http://www.progressiverailroading.com/n ... p?id=18771
On Nov. 17, the National Mediation Board certified election results for the short line’s employees, who previously were unrepresented. BLET representatives now will begin negotiating a contract for the workers...
  by Otto Vondrak

The National Mediation Board certified the election results on November 17. BLET First Vice President Paul Sorrow said the union is anxious to begin negotiations with management of the roughly 110-mile short line. "Our goal is to get off on the right foot and begin positive negotiations with management as quickly as possible," Sorrow said. "A good union contract will demonstrate to the WNY&P workers that they made the right decision by saying 'yes' to the BLET and Teamsters. Also, thanks to Tommy Miller for a job well done." Miller, the BLET's Director of Organizing, thanked all WNY&P workers for attending the BLET's informational meetings during the six-week organizing campaign. He also thanked New York Susquehanna & Western General Chairman Ben Martin for his expertise and assistance throughout. "Following the organizing campaign, work now begins on negotiating a fair and equitable union contract to give workers the protection and respect they deserve," Miller said. (BLET)
http://railpace.com/hotnews/
  by super7cr

I'm sure that the WNY&P employees are impressed that the BLET already knows nothing about their operation. 110 miles? Try 185 from Hornell to Meadville and I am not sure on the mileage up to Farmers Valley or the mileage on the Buffalo Line.

As a unionized railroader, I can say that this is probably not healthy for the WNY&P. As I understood things, T&E were already getting paid pretty well with pretty good health benefits and a pretty good deal worked out with Lakeville - although I could be mistaken. Union Dues for these guys will be anywhere from $60-$100 a month and the benefits of having a union on a railroad that is relatively small compared to class one operations will be minimal. The union could also pose the threat of a long term strain on the WNY&P's financial viability in the future. Especially when the other crafts follow suit.