Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

by CarterB

During the Steam era...what were the various grades / sections that used pushers? Where were the pusher 'cut off' points and turnarounds (wyes) or "back downs"? Other than the Challengers (5100s) what else was used in pusher service?
  by mikeexplorer

CarterB wrote:During the Steam era...what were the various grades / sections that used pushers? Where were the pusher 'cut off' points and turnarounds (wyes) or "back downs"? Other than the Challengers (5100s) what else was used in pusher service?
The Penn Division from Carbondale to Jefferson Junction used pushers to the summit of Ararat Mountain. The pushers would wye there and return to Carbondale to push the next train. Early this year we explored the remains of the Ararat Wye, it was quite grown in but we found it. Another wye was found past the Starucca Viaduct just before the NY border.
I am not sure what the grade was to Ararat, but I think it was like 1.5%

Mike
  by CarterB

Do you happen to have the lat/lon coordinates of the two wyes?
  by Engineer Spike

There is another "Y" in Afton. It is across the tracks from where Noyes Ford used to be. This was for pushing over Belden.
Even into the diesel era, if have been told that pushers would go right out of Mechanicville, up Crescent, Kelley's, Howes Have, and Richmondville. They would cut off at the summit.
  by mikeexplorer

Ararat Wye Location

41.82836, -75.52438 NORTH LEG OF WYE
41.82723, -75.52281 TAIL OF WYE
41.82694, -75.52471 SOUTH LEG OF WYE

Other Wye Near Windsor NY

41.98689, -75.59743 SOUTH OF WYE
41.98831, -75.59801 NORTH OF WYE
41.98723, -75.59899 WEST OF WYE
  by CarterB

Thanks for the geo coords!
  by ChiefTroll

The wye with the coordinates shown for Ararat is actually north of Lanesboro, PA, at the north end of the grade up to Ararat Summit. There was no wye at Ararat proper.

The wye north of Lanesboro was named Cascade Wye, which was the origin of the symbol for KY Cabin at the north end of the double track from there south to LS Cabin at Lanesboro under the Erie Bridge.

The wye at Afton was named Grovers' Wye, which was the origin of the symbol for GR Cabin, the north end of double track from Afton south to VI Cabin at Harpursville.

Before and during the operation of the J-95 class 4-6-6-4 locomotives numbered in the 1500's (which were never called "Challengers" on the D&H during their lifespan), the D&H used H class 0-8-8-0 locomotives in the 1200's as well as all sorts of E class 2-8-0's in helper service. The 1200's mainly operated out of Carbondale and Binghamton.

Gordon Davids
  by mikeexplorer

I didn't know the one Wye was named "Cascade" but the other one I posted the coordinates for is in Ararat. The tail of the wye touches Roberts Pond.

Mike
  by ChiefTroll

I stand corrected. The Ararat Wye was there. I never heard of it, and I went after the wrong coordinates (for Cascade) on Google Maps. That makes three wyes south of Oneonta for turning pushers.
  by mikeexplorer

Where is the other wye, the one I didn't post the coordinates?

Mike
  by ChiefTroll

Mike -

Grovers Wye is between Afton and Nineveh, to the east of the D&H just north of the Route 7 overpass. The coordinates at the end of the tail track are

42.211209,-75.563509

Gordon
  by mikeexplorer

I plotted it, looks like it is after the tracks are active again. (after the Penn Division merges in) from the Topo, the old WYE might still be quite visible.
  by Bob Sandusky

Pushers were also used over Richmondville Hill just southwest of Cobleskill. In fact I think I remember Trains Magazine listing Richmontville Hill as one of the 10 busiest 'mountain' grades in the country into the 1970s.

I don't remember if the 'southern' terminus for the switchers was Schenevus or Worcester (I think it was Worcester) and the 'northern' terminus was Delanson. There was a round house atthe southern terminus but I don't know if there was one in Delanson.

Bob Sandusky
Esperance, NY
  by NYSW3614

I believe there once was a roundhouse in Delanson but it was gone early, maybe didn't survive WWII. Hmm....
  by CarterB

topo maps of the 30's and 40's show a wye at Delanson.

Don't see any such around Worcester?