Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by Train2009

While I was inside a School Bus going on
a classtrip today to the Maritime Aquarium I saw
P40 #841 in Stamford CT faceing south and
the cab car north
  by trainguy2024

843 on the 12:58 at Danbury today
  by DutchRailnut

make that 834, the 843 is a shoreline east locomotive, not in mncr pool service.
  by Ridgefielder

841 (I think) facing south on train #6849 this evening. The P40's apparently don't fit too well in the EB pocket track at South Norwalk- only one door on the platform & they had to hold the WB express for the passengers off the Danbury. Anyone know why they're not using the WB pocket since the work there seems (finally) to have been completed?
  by DutchRailnut

841 and 834 are to be replaced with two bL20gh's this coming week.The P40's will be going to Wilmington for ACSES instalation,
removal of Amtrak lettering and then Connecticut Commuter rail logo's to be applied, after which they will return to New Haven for SLE use.
  by M1 9147

I know that these will get the CDOT logo's like the 833, and 836 did, but will they get an eventual full paint job to take off the Amtrak colors?
  by DutchRailnut

probably, cant answer for CDOT or whats in their budget.
  by Darien Red Sox

Are these the ones that were talked about burning 50 gallons of oil a day on the NJT thread? Are they going to have any work done to fix this problem if that is the case?
  by FL9AC

Darien Red Sox wrote:Are these the ones that were talked about burning 50 gallons of oil a day on the NJT thread? Are they going to have any work done to fix this problem if that is the case?
Yes, these are the same units, and again that is up to CDOT and their budget.
  by shadyjay

Photo on NERAIL of the "patch" paint job...courtesy Fred G...
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20081 ... 321389.jpg

Are all 8 leased P40s going to SLE/CDOT ownership or just a "select few"?

If I have this right, then that's 8 P40s+6 GP40-2H = 14 locomotives for SLE service/future NHV-SPG service with some 33 Mafersa coaches.
(and the BL20GHs plus FL9Ms * while they last * would be in MNR pool service exclusively).
Last edited by shadyjay on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by DutchRailnut

yes
yes
and yes
  by Fred G

Thanks for linking my pic, Jay.

Here's another one:

I hope it's temporary, as it brings back memories of when SLE was the "train of many railroads": Shoreliner cab, VRE coaches and Amtrak engine :P
  by MN-P32AC-DM-201-227

SLE is going to have a very large fleet of locomotives. Looks like 833 has seen better days. :(
  by Nester

Fred G wrote:Thanks for linking my pic, Jay.

Here's another one:

I hope it's temporary, as it brings back memories of when SLE was the "train of many railroads": Shoreliner cab, VRE coaches and Amtrak engine :P
I hope CDOT didn't send 833 out for that "superior" paint job.
  by FL9AC

The units were sent out to get the ACSES cab signal installed primarily, but yes they did that patch job before they came back. Too bad they didn't more closely match the silver and the blue nose patch paint to the original paint...hopefully there's rebuild/repaint money in the budget next year :wink: . Also caught the 842 on one of the shoreline trainsets this morning with the 6698 on the other.