• Another Varnish on tail end.

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by uticajack

Returning from Boston yesterday via Amtrak, caught another Varnish at the end of a southbound Amtrak at Albany station (5:30ish). I couldn't catch any name on the side but as it was leaving the station I caught "Empire State Express" on the rear observation platform drum. Looks as though people were out watching the changed foliage this weekend.

by charlie6017

I saw an eastbound in Palmyra, NY on Saturday with a dark blue varnish. All I saw was "Pullman" and there were three people watching from the back. Hard to see detail at 79 miles per, though.

by uticajack

Charlie,
I believe the car you saw was the L&N Pullman in this post.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6992

The Pullman, however beautiful, was not the car I saw at Albany.

Jack

by CRHauf

Charlie,

The Pullman car you saw was the private railcar, Federal, which was on its way from Niagara Falls to Albany on Sat and returned to Niagara Falls on Sunday. So, it was not the car uticajack saw, but I am sure the Federal was the car you saw.

Here is a pic of the Federal (dark blue) with the Dagny Taggert trailing in the Rochester station heading east on the Lake Shore Limited on October 4th.

Until later,
Chris

by SRS125

A friend of mine saw the same 2 cars in Chicago, IL Last Thersday morning on his way back to Syracuse, NY via Flag Staff, AZ