• West Chicago Line

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
  by BN7151

Does anyone know what the status of the (possibly former) BN line to West Chicago, IL is? If it is still active, is there a diamond or flyover near the ex-C&NW line?
  by Engineer Spike

The connection in W. Chicago is no longer uesd. There is still lots of local work. I worked the line in '97, and switched industries in Batavia.
Just before the line connected with the CNW, it crossed the EJE. That diamond is out.

by bones

The "Irish Mail" was one of my favorite jobs when I worked there.

by AmtrakFan

Now their's talk about selling it I hear.

AmtrakFan

by AmtrakFan

Now their's talk about selling it I hear.

AmtrakFan

by arnstg

Took a drive up to W. Chicago today and can confirm that the line ends about 1-200 feet beyond the General Mills Distribution Center.

It must have been awhile ago since the residential streets have no hump for a RR crossing but have rails on both sides of the street.

by MR77100

Was this the CB&Q's original line?

by AmtrakFan

MR77100 wrote:Was this the CB&Q's original line?
Yes it was.

AmtrakFan

by Scotty Burkhardt

its been awhile since ive been to w. chicago but isnt the diamond still there? all the tracks are gone but just south of the U.P./ EJE junction theres an abandoned diamond on the EJE. (this belongs in an EJE forum)