• old Pittsburg and Shawmut segment still active?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by pumpers

Is the old P&S line from Freeport through West Kittanning to Mahoning along the Allegheny river still active? At one point I think NS was running coal trains from Freeport to Bridgeburg/Mosgrove to get on the B&PRR to take coal to Punxsutawney and then down to the Shelocta Power plant, but since NS built a direct connection to Shelocta, I don't know if they or anyone else is using this segment of old P&S rail. The Genessee and Wyoming web site still shows it as active, but it might be out of date http://www.gwrr.com/default.cfm?action= ... ction=3B3c. THanks, JS
  by rnetzlof

I don't get down that way much, so this may be out of date. Last I knew, B&P had gotten a contract to supply coal to the plant at Homer City. Not sure where it comes from. There was talk of a mine along the Allegheny above Freeport, but also talk of B&P locomotives picking up coal trains at Shire Oak and bringing them up to Freeport and then on to Mosgrove.

So yes, it looks like that piece of the P&S is still active. There's also a power plant on the west side of the river at Mahoning. Don't know if they get coal by rail, but I believe the track is still in place from Mosgrove up to there.
  by EMTRailfan

In service by the B&P from Freeport to Reddco which is just RR north of Reesedale. From here the line is removed to Brockway with the exception of Brookville yard/shop trackage.