Discussion related to commuter rail and transit operators in California past and present including Los Angeles Metrolink and Metro Subway and Light Rail, San Diego Coaster, Sprinter and MTS Trolley, Altamont Commuter Express (Stockton), Caltrain and MUNI (San Francisco), Sacramento RTD Light Rail, and others...

Moderator: lensovet

by mbta1051dan

Quick question. What type of HEP generators do Coaster F40PH-M2Cs have? They sound like our MBTA GP40MCs.

-Dan

by modorney

C = Cummins or Caterpillar?

The GP40MC has a direct drive HEP? Which means it has to do a high RPM all the time?

ACE F40PH-3C 's have a separate Caterpillar (C) HEP, so the prime mover can idle down.

by mbta1051dan

modorney wrote:C = Cummins or Caterpillar?

The GP40MC has a direct drive HEP? Which means it has to do a high RPM all the time?

ACE F40PH-3C 's have a separate Caterpillar (C) HEP, so the prime mover can idle down.
NO, the screamers (F40PHs) have direct drive HEP, but the GP40MCs have really loud Cummins HEP generators, but they sound more like Caltrains F40PH-2CATs for some reason...

Our F40PH-2Cs and F40PH-M2Cs both have Cat V12 3412s.

-Dan

by jz441

I don't know the model, but they are CAT's.
  by coasterengineer

Our HEP units are Cummins not Cat's all are air starters, our instructions call for 5 minutes of warm up time, on the F59PHI units the HEP goes into full run mode when the computer tells it to. On the F40's it is up to the Engineer or whomever started it. I do things in this order start HEP release hand brake walk to cab stop and check fluid levels. Go into cab check brake and throttle for proper position, check lights then turn HEP to run that allows for about 5 minutes of warm up time.
  by Tadman

Odd question that just struck me - on a passenger unit with aux HEP generator rather than shaft drive off PM, are the cab lights and heat powered by aux HEP circuit or are they powered off whatever circuit would be used to power lights and heat in a freight unit? It's not like I have a vested interest in this answer, just curious.
  by coasterengineer

Tad:

Cab air conditioning heat and lights etc are powered by the locomotive not the HEP. The only odd ball thing is that if you have no HEP you have no ditch lights on the cab cars ! Ed