• Railfan Denver and Coloaro Springs?

• Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroad subjects, past and present, in the American West, including California, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, and The Dakotas. For specific railroad topics, please see the Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Komachi

by gprimr1

Any good guides on railfanning Colorado? I have some time to go watch. I'll be in Denver and Colorado Springs but with a car.

by TB Diamond

Many possibilities. In Denver there is the Union Depot. Take the Light rail line to Littleton. This follows closely the BNSF MT out of Denver towards Colorado Springs. I-25 follows the BNSF fairly close between Castle Rock and CO Springs. The 20th St. viaduct in Denver gives some good views, or did before they built Coors Stadium. The 23rd. St. viaduct used to be good, as well. In the Springs there are some overheads that give some good vantage points. Good luck.

by gprimr1

The Joint Mainline runs through Colorado Springs right?

by TB Diamond

Correct. Check out the former Rock Island depot in the Springs. The former Santa Fe depot is across town. Beautiful brick building.

by heyitsme23

If you will be anywhere in western colorado, look up dotsero on the map. There is a canyon that follows the colorado river with a road running alongside the tracks towards bond with a lot of good spots to take pictures, Amtrak comes through in the afternoon usually in both directions. I drive this route often as my company's headquarters is up the road (out in the middle of nowhere). It is very nice scenery and has an "old west" feel as there are not many houses and only the dirt road, with red cliffs and the flat-tops mountains in the background
  by atsf sp

I know this comes a little late. But in Colorado Springs, there is the yard where UP and BNSF is ussaully sitting, or at least the three days I was there. And there is the Manitou & Pikes Peak cog. In Denver there is their light rail plus tons of UP and BNSF action. Also there is the Forney Transportation Museum which in its collection is a Big Boy. And Golden, CO a 20 minute drive has the Colorado rail museum, BNSF action and Coors SW switchers.