• Circus Train in Cambridge, MA

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by tober

Apparently, the Ringling Bros. Circus train is going to be spotted on the Grand Junction in Cambridge near the intersection of Massachusetts Ave. (near MIT) for performances at the TD Banknorth Garden next week. According to a release from the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, they're going to be walking the animals from the train to the venue on Monday (10/6) evening. I would guess this means that the train will arrive on Sunday or Monday during the day - and I would guess it will be coming into town from Worcester, not via the NEC, though I do not know. Does anybody here have more information on this movement? I'd love to be able to get some pictures of the arrival.
[Moderator: I don't know whether this post belongs most correctly here or whether it would be better on the Amtrak forum. It could be that the circus train is technically an Amtrak extra.]
  by boatsmate

The Train is comming down out of Manchester NH VIA PAR trackage to Worcester then from Worcester to Boston. Normally
they park part of the train on the grand junction and trhe rest in Beacon park. the train will be down on Monday during the day, as the last show is Sunday PM. it takes about 8 to 12 hours to get the train ready ot move. Not sure if they are going to Wye the train or just run around it in Worcester to get it to Boston.

Capt Bill
  by boatsmate

circus train by the West Boylston police and fire complex 1150 oct 6

red unit is headed for the CSX Main did not get the engine numbers due to foliage.
  by CSX Conductor

I never did find out why the Boston & Manchester shows were reversed this year. Usually the train comes in on the B&A from NY and then to Worcester for NH show. This year I believe the show after Boston is in Ct, will have to 2x check Ringling site.
  by Rockingham Racer

Is this train banned on the Lowell Line/PAR trackage to N. Chelmsford?
  by atsf sp

boatsmate wrote:red unit is headed for the CSX Main did not get the engine numbers due to foliage.
circus train by the West Boylston police and fire complex 1150 oct 6

red unit is headed for the CSX Main did not get the engine numbers due to foliage.
What do you mean red unit. Do they have their own power? I thought they just used CSX power.
  by boatsmate

there are 2 RRBB trains blue unit or train adn the red unit or train. both are totally differnt shows. the cars are painted in there respective color, Blue and red, and are normally pulled by the host rr power. for some reason PAR did not use there power instead used CSX. Both trains will be in the Boston area in the spring, they will vist Worcester and Providence. each year the train is different color. this yr the red train will go to Boston next year the blue train. they also have a smaller show that travels by truck to small areas and places where the train can't get too.
  by CSX Conductor

boatsmate wrote:there are 2 RRBB trains blue unit or train adn the red unit or train. both are totally differnt shows. the cars are painted in there respective color, Blue and red, and are normally pulled by the host rr power. for some reason PAR did not use there power instead used CSX. Both trains will be in the Boston area in the spring, they will vist Worcester and Providence. each year the train is different color. this yr the red train will go to Boston next year the blue train. they also have a smaller show that travels by truck to small areas and places where the train can't get too.
The trains are not actually blue on the Blue Unit, this is simply a name for the tour. Perhaps years ago they might have been painted to different paint schemes, but not any more as all of the cars are silver with Red Ringling Bros. emblems. As for the third tour which travels by truck, that is dubbed the Gold Tour. Ringling Brothers uses the host railroads locomotives because they do not have their own motive power or train crews. They do however have their own trainmaster on each train and the host railroad's crews have to remain in constant communication with him at all times to keep him updated as to where, when & why the train will be stopping.

Just be advised: If you're standing trackside to watch it roll by, remember not to stand to close as they shovel the maneure right out the door of the animal cars onto the tracks. :P :wink: