• What is this wall device at Metro Center?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by SchuminWeb

I've known about this device's existence on the wall on the Glenmont platform just west of the crossvault at Metro Center for about two years now (the attached photo is from August 2006), but when recently passing through, I noticed this new sign on the box:

ProTechScan
Model RH-1369
POC Deputy Chief Daly
202-962-2164

Any idea what this device is and what it's used for?
  by Sand Box John

At first I thought it was a cellular telephone network antenna. The device is obviously passive as there are no wiring connected to it. The fact that the device is mounted in close proximity to the leaky wire coaxial radio antenna could indicate that it might be some kind hardware that's part of WMATA's voice communication system.

A search of the phrases ProTechScan or Pro Tech Scan in various search engines turns up no listings of a manufacture.

The 962 telephone exchange belongs to WMATA.

One thing that I did find somewhat strange, when running ProTechScan in the various search engines I discovered protechscan, protekscan and pro tekscan is in the <meta name="keywords" content=""> tag in the <head> source code in the pages at http://www.wmata.com.
  by tommyboy6181

It could be 1 of the chemical detection sensors used in the underground stations. I know that Metro was installing them over the past few years. Not entirely sure though.
  by Robert Paniagua

You're probably right, it may be just that, the chemical sensing device. installed there that they were going to do after the 9/11 attacks
  by farecard

I've looked multiple times and have no clue. The phone # leads to WMATA PD.

I'm beginning to think it's a placebo..