Discussion of Canadian Passenger Rail Services such as AMT (Montreal), Go Transit (Toronto), VIA Rail, and other Canadian Railways and Transit

Moderator: Ken V

by Silverliner II

I think they were referring to Niagara Falls, ON before I mentioned Niagara Falls, NY. It would be typical of folks on this side to raise a fuss at losing the stop on the NY side, hence the need for a thruway bus....and customs inspection at Exchange Street, Buffalo for the Leaf only....
  by AgentSkelly

Silverliner II wrote:I think they were referring to Niagara Falls, ON before I mentioned Niagara Falls, NY. It would be typical of folks on this side to raise a fuss at losing the stop on the NY side, hence the need for a thruway bus....and customs inspection at Exchange Street, Buffalo for the Leaf only....
Putting in a Shared Customs Stop at Fort Erie would be so much easier as passengers would be able to get off the train for a bit as well as speeding up processing time.
  by buddah

This is a good topic as I never heard of this bridge possibly closing, As I mentioned in another discussion what if VIA wanted to send a train over to Buffalo just to make connections with current Amtrak routes. If VIA covered this new trackway and came across at Fort Erie it would possibly get the FRA's approval to run Renaissance equipment ( or Budd equipment) to Buffalo stated the train will be covering less US trackway than by whirlpool bridge right of way, however the increase in train traffic at this bridge ( Maple leaf or VIA extended route) would kill and already delayed and non delayed trains timetable. As we know freight companies are suppose to give passenger trains preference but they don't, Not to mention the back up move alone would ad another 10-15 min at least to the trip. Id stick with the whirlpool bridge route, Keep it open specifically for Passenger traffic.