• Why are BBCode tags always inserted at the bottom?

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

by jrevans

I really like the new software running railroad.net, but I noticed something freaky (besides all of the old databases being gone....)

When I use the buttons to insert a URL or a Img, the auto-generated tags are always inserted onto the bottom of the message, even if the cursor is up top. It's quite annoying when I go to add a picture or something and it doesn't appear to be working, then I find a glob of tags at the bottom of my message. (I ASSume that all of the tags are doing this.)

I just end up manually typing the tags myself, but I was wondering if there was a way to fix this, so that the tags are inserted where the cursor is?

by Otto Vondrak

I noticed that myself... not sure why...

-otto-

by jrevans

Otto wrote:I noticed that myself... not sure why...

-otto-
Phew.

At least I wasn't hallucinating. :-)
  by Mike Roque

It does the same thing here, so I'm not sure if it's a limitation of JavaScript as far as inserting text where the caret is or if it was simply assumed that you would insert the tags as you went along.

Perhaps you might want to visit the phpBB site to find out more about it.
  by jrevans

webmaster wrote:It does the same thing here, so I'm not sure if it's a limitation of JavaScript as far as inserting text where the caret is or if it was simply assumed that you would insert the tags as you went along.
Hmmm. This article (as well as some others) say that determining the current position is only possible under MSIE. I'm not suprised. I just finished writing a JavaScript field validation script for a web-based user interface (for an embedded Linux product that I'm working on), and I can't seem to keep the user from exiting the bad field under Netscape/Mozilla, but it works fine under MSIE.... I hate standards that aren't followed.
Perhaps you might want to visit the phpBB site to find out more about it.
I'll try to take a look sometime.