• Metro doesn't use the interlocking south of NY Ave?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by SchuminWeb

I was involved in a situation on Metro today relating to a sick passenger at New York Avenue on my commute back to Glenmont tonight. I was on the train immediately behind the incident train in the first car, which meant that most of what we did was hang out. After a few "we will be moving momentarily" announcements, and then an announcement that we would be trying to move around the incident, the operator made a dash to the other end of the train, and then a few minutes later, casually walked back up to the head car again, before we finally proceeded through New York Avenue on the correct track.

What surprised me, though, was when we got to Glenmont and I asked the operator why he ran back to the rear of the train. He said that they were going to have him go back to Judiciary Square to switch over to track 2 (mind you, our train was within sight of NY Avenue station) to single-track around the incident, and that they don't use the switch south of New York Avenue because it's an old switch, and they don't want to risk a derailment.

Isn't that switch between Union Station and New York Avenue the one that was relocated as part of the construction of New York Avenue in 2004, making that particular crossover only four years old?
  by Sand Box John

"SchuminWeb"
. . .
What surprised me, though, was when we got to Glenmont and I asked the operator why he ran back to the rear of the train. He said that they were going to have him go back to Judiciary Square to switch over to track 2 (mind you, our train was within sight of NY Avenue station) to single-track around the incident, and that they don't use the switch south of New York Avenue because it's an old switch, and they don't want to risk a derailment.

Isn't that switch between Union Station and New York Avenue the one that was relocated as part of the construction of New York Avenue in 2004, making that particular crossover only four years old?

Yes. However as I recall the trackwork they installed after the New York Avenue station opened did not have guarded turnouts in it. Next time you pass through the M street B03 interlocking see if it has guarded turnouts in it. If it doesn't you know why it wasn't used.

All that weekend trackwork that WMATA has been doing is part of a program to change out unguarded turnouts for guarded turnouts, I believe the program was accelerated after the Mount Vernon Square incident.
  by PRR Trackman

New York Ave interlocking is a number 10 double crossover. Number 10's don't have to be guarded. That would not be the reason why you all did not use the interlocking. There must have been another reason.
  by Sand Box John

PRR Trackman"
New York Ave interlocking is a number 10 double crossover. Number 10's don't have to be guarded. That would not be the reason why you all did not use the interlocking. There must have been another reason.

OK.

M Street, B-03 interlocking is no longer there. It's called NY Ave, B-98...

So what you are saying is the M Street interlocking is no longer controlled through the B03 RTU but and is now controlled through the "B98" RTU.

Correct me if I am wrong, I think you meant B35 or B3.5 not B98, as B98 is Glenmont Yard.