• Fitchburg Secondary

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Ken Rice

There is a pretty good sized transload facility at the end of the Fitchburg secondary. I had assumed it's used only for plastic, but I just found this site:
http://bulktransporter.com/transload/20 ... achusetts/
Which says they also transload "foods (dry)" there.
I've only noticed plastics hoppers there, or at least what I thought were plastics hoppers. Anyone know what food product they may transload, and what type of car it arrives in?

Thanks,
Ken.
  by frrc

There used to be a company (not sure if they are still around), called Near East foods, that processed a lot of rice and wheat/grain products. They might have got loads from the facility off Mechanic Street in Leominster. Otherwise, most of the off loads are for the plastics companies.

JoeF
  by ST214

They're gone....It's all plastics at O'Leary.
frrc wrote:There used to be a company (not sure if they are still around), called Near East foods, that processed a lot of rice and wheat/grain products. They might have got loads from the facility off Mechanic Street in Leominster. Otherwise, most of the off loads are for the plastics companies.

JoeF
  by QB 52.32

Funny how the guide lists the transload as JP Noonan instead of O'Leary. I wonder if this is a typo or if O'Leary sold out. Of course, if you look at the other Leominster listing, RVJ, they list the P&W as serving them, so maybe its just bad info.
  by ST214

I'll have to check it out next time i'm down there....

RVJ also uses part of the Fitchburg yard too...
QB 52.32 wrote:Funny how the guide lists the transload as JP Noonan instead of O'Leary. I wonder if this is a typo or if O'Leary sold out. Of course, if you look at the other Leominster listing, RVJ, they list the P&W as serving them, so maybe its just bad info.
  by Ken Rice

QB 52.32 wrote:Funny how the guide lists the transload as JP Noonan instead of O'Leary. I wonder if this is a typo or if O'Leary sold out. Of course, if you look at the other Leominster listing, RVJ, they list the P&W as serving them, so maybe its just bad info.
I wondered if maybe both O'Leary and JP Noonan used the same site. When I drove by sunday there were very few cars there, all of them near the O'Leary office, so maybe it is only O'Leary.

Ken.