• Would anyone know where i could find the NYC writing Font?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Lehighton_Man

Hey all..
I have been scowling the web for a New York Centra font, like what was used on a majority of its diesels(and steamers too i think)
Could anyone tell me where i could find such font for free?
Thanks.
Sean
  by R Paul Carey

Sean, although There are a number of very good lettering fonts in "Railroad Roman" out there (and from your posting, I presume you are looking for the lettering as "NEW YORK CENTRAL" appeared in various generations on NYC's steam and diesel power).

The type of RR Roman used in 1937 and previous years was especially artful, yet does not seem to be available, commercially or otherwise. In this form, the diagonal of the "N" is cut below the line (like a "ribbon"), and the "R" is pierced by the diagonal tail at its top.

Perhaps an internet search for "fonts", "roman", and "gothic" (for the sanserif forms) may lead you to an something acceptable for your purpose (if detail or accuracy is critical to you, you may have to reconsider paying for the font of your choice). Good luck to you!
  by Otto Vondrak

Try "Grand Central" from Benn Coifmann: http://www.railfonts.com/cgi/font_shop/ ... page9.html

The font is NOT free, you must pay for it. Quality fonts are never free.

-otto vondrak
Graphic Designer