• Yorkrail / NS 80, 81 weekly coal train

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by teamgunzi

Does anyone know what is up with NS 80, the weekly coal train for Spring Grove PA? (Correct me if the numbers are wrong: 80 inbound loaded / 81 Nortbound emptys). It usually arrives SG between Friday night and EARLY Saturday morning (and departs 10PM-ish Saturday or 10AM-ish Sundays), but as of 9:30PM Saturday 20th, it's still not here. With five years of living along the route, I've never known a weekend without this train.

Furthermore, is there anyone who may be able to assist with tracking this weekly run, and helping provide 'heads-ups' with times and power? This run gets its share of BNSF, Warbonnets and Conrail. Last year it even had an 'undecorated' unit, last month an SD80MAC (I'm told), and last week a Conrail blue. A friend suggested I start a thread on the topic, as I usually tell other 'locals' what's going on. But, I can only report when it arrives at the end of the line, and I won't know the power until it's halfway done unloading(usually Saturday afternoons). If anyone is able and interested in helping, speak up!

Thanks, teamgunzi
  by hbgdispatcher

Inbound NS symbol to York for the loaded train is 510, outbound is usually 511, although this can sometimes be different depending on where the empty cars are going back to load at.
  by teamgunzi

Thanks for the correction on the train numbers. I had read '80 / 81' on that other BIG railroad forum, which I won't name here. By the way, the train (510) never did show up, at least as of 930PM Sunday. Are track issues involved, or perhaps the Glatfelter paper mill has enough coal stockpiled to skip a train (about 105 cars each time I've counted), or maybe they're slowing down production...? Who knows...

teamgunzi