• UP Caboose in MontCo

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by reldnahkram

I was driving up PA 29 the other day and saw a UP caboose just north of where PA 113 crosses, in the Graterford area. Anything interesting about said caboose, or is it just sitting there?

by LCJ

I believe it's related to two facts, in some way (not really sure how):

1. Union Pacific corporate HQ was in PA (Bethlehem) until a few years ago.

2. Drew Lewis, former UP executive, lived (lives?) in that part of PA (Lederach).

by bwparker1

Why was UP's corporate headquarters located in Bethlehem PA?

Brooks

by metman499

There is one in White Haven as well. Too bad it's only painted on one side.

by chuchubob

bwparker1 wrote:Why was UP's corporate headquarters located in Bethlehem PA?
Brooks
Drew Lewis moved the HQ there when he was CEO.

by EDM5970

There was a UP CA-4 class (?) stored on the Octoraro at Lenape. This was used by the Anthracite Railway, and was then in grey primer. The car had a huge cupola and express car trucks. Later this car got sold and moved to Avondale (?) where it was repainted red and displayed with a steam locomotive. Could this be the same car? (I haven't been over there in years-)

by yutzk

I know the one Live Steam railroad club down that way has a caboose and I recall it being a UP as well....so that may be it..Ive looked for pics to no avail....

kevin
  by JC1076

The live steam club is on Rt 29 (Gravel Pike) between Stephanie Lane and Trappe Road. If you check out MSN maps, the caboose can be seen in a birds-eye view of the area.
  by AlexC

The UP caboose was repainted caboose red last summer (or maybe the year before).

It belongs to the Pa Live Steamers
  by JC1076

I just spoke to Mike McDevitt from the PA Live Steamers today and asked him about the caboose; it is Union Pacific #2500, a class CA-11. Here is a link to their website with a photo of the caboose as it appears today:

http://www.palivesteamers.org/map.html