• 6000 Series Cars on the Red Line

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by red-orange line

Wow?! This is the second reported sighting of the 6k's on the Red Line. Hope somebody get some pictures.

by WMATAGMOAGH

red-orange line wrote:Wow?! This is the second reported sighting of the 6k's on the Red Line. Hope somebody get some pictures.
Second? When was the first?

by red-orange line

WMATAGMOAGH wrote:
red-orange line wrote:Wow?! This is the second reported sighting of the 6k's on the Red Line. Hope somebody get some pictures.
Second? When was the first?
hardyboyz1999 reported a pair of alstoms running on the Red Line back in July.

by realtype

I saw them also! I'm actually a little surprised somebody beat me to the board. I saw the pair during the evening rush hour at Silver Spring station while on a MARC train. They were in between a pair of rehabbed Bredas and, (not sure) either another pair of rehabbed Bredas or CAFS. I had to do a double take because I couldn't believe my eyes. Also, the 6000s weren't very attractive. They were the dirtiest 6000s I have seen, with streaks running down the side. An uninformed person might say that the other two pairs were the newer cars; thats how bad they looked (on the outside). I'm just glad that the WMATA finally got around to putting some Alstoms on the Red Line.

by realtype

It finally seems that the Red Line has received its share of the 6000-series cars. :-D Today, I spotted at least four different Red Line trains with one or two 6000 married pairs.

by Love Train

I've seen 'em too.

by Robert Paniagua

Oh good, about time they get 6k's rather than those stupid Rohr 1k's. Good, hopefully The Shady Grove Red Line will get more such 6k cars and 5k's and transfer the 1k's to the green (the bulk of them)

by HokieNav

Yep, caught a ride on 6062 from Gallery Place to Union Station on the way home from work yesterday - now I can get from work (Navy Yard) to the MARC all on 6K cars! :D

I tried for a picture, but my camera phone is crappy.

by red-orange line

I spotted a 6 car train of all 6000's on the Red line at Silver Spring yesterday. The 6000's are everywhere now :-D

by Love Train

I, too, am happy. The Rohrs are good cars, but I'm tired of them, and the original Bredas, too. Let's see the newest, best fleet dominate the line that gets the most ridership (i.e. the Red).
  by realtype

It looks like the Red Line has finally got a descent share of the 6000-series cars, and the Green Line has received its fair share of the older cars. Ever since the 6000's were introduced the Green Line has always had the vast majority of them up until this August. For the past two weeks I've ridden on many 6000's on the Red Line, and hardly any Rohr 1000's or 4000's (which used to dominate the line). In the same time period I've ridden a Rohr at least twice and a 4000 car on the Green Line, which used to be unheard of.
  by SchuminWeb

Oh, the Red Line still has a lot of 4000's and Rohrs, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise. However, I've noticed not so much a huge supply of Alstoms on Red as I've noticed an increase in Breda rehabs.
  by Robert Paniagua

Yeah, our red line mostly gets the 1K, 3K & 4K cars, which is typical, I've noticed that myself.