• First time traveling Amtrak, suggestions?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by TAMR213

Thanks for all the info, I hope we don't get lost in NYPenn as I know its quite a large building, and the one time I was there, I almost got lost trying to find a bathroom, lol. It would be helpful if someone could just give some general directions for in New York Penn, so then we don't end up wandering around and missing our train. Thanks.

by Railjunkie

TAMR213,

I hope this helps...

NJT trains generally use tracks 1 through 4 but because of rush hour you could end up on 5,6,7,8, which is ok because train 63 will be on 5 through 9 most likley 5 or 6. When you get off your NJT train look for the SHORT STAIRS OR ESCULATOR they are towards the middle of the platform this will bring you to the lower level then look for the signs for tracks 9-10 there will be a stair cases and esculators, when you go up those stairs you will be in the middle of the station the large depature board will be right there above you. The boarding call will be given about 15 min before departure time.

All the tracks on the main level are well marked, tracks 5-9 will toward the baggage claim which is by a large Hudson News stand. Once the boarding call has been given and you are on the platform the Conductor will let you know which car he would like for you to sit in, sit on the left hand side of the coach for the best view while going up the Hudson River. Cafe car will be to the rear of the train. Have a good trip...

by TAMR213

Yes, that really helps. Thanks you. Also, does anyone have any idea on how much luggage we would be able to take?

by Lucius Kwok

It depends on what equipment you get. My recollection from a NEC Regional was that overhead racks are about the same size as airliner overhead bins, but there are usually luggage racks at one end of the car, so I would guess that the limit is how much you can carry at once. You may find that you have to lug it up and down stairs if the escalators and elevators aren't working.

by RMadisonWI

TAMR213 wrote:So theres no word on how much baggage I would be able to take?
http://www.amtrak.com/plan/baggage-carryon.html
The Amtrak Baggage Policy has been enhanced to meet today's challenging climate of security and safety. Given space constraints, there is a limit of two (2) carry-on bags per passenger, not including items such as purses or laptops. Each piece must be visibly tagged with the name and address of the passenger.

Limit of 2 Carry-on Luggage Items: Carry-on luggage is now limited to two (2) pieces per passenger, not exceeding the specified dimensions of a medium-sized Pullman suitcase (28"x22"x14"/70x55x35 cm). Carry-on limits will not apply to briefcases, purses, laptop cases or cosmetics cases (e.g., train cases). Additionally, the limits will not apply to infant paraphernalia, such as car seats, diaper bags or strollers. Passengers are requested to stow such items under seats when practicable, leaving the overhead luggage racks for larger items.

Total Volume and Weight Limits: If a single carry-on bag is larger than the acceptable per unit dimensions defined above but, in the employee's judgment, the total volume of the bag does not exceed the space limits that would be occupied by two (2) Pullman suitcases of the allowable size, then the passenger may be permitted to carry the bag onboard. In no case will carry-on luggage of any type be permitted on-board that obviously exceeds 50 lbs/23 kg in weight.
  by Gilbert B Norman

What I'm at a loss to understand, Mr. Romatowski, is the fixation with "how much can I bring"? At your apparent young age as well as gender, I'm surprised to learn "if you can't carry it, don't bring it" has already been ditched.

Still works for me at age 63.

by steve levine

call Trailways or Greyhound.

by AmtrakFan

I carry what I can Carry and my bags are normally heavy as a Coal Train.

AmtrakFan

by TAMR213

Mr. Norman,

Of course I'm not going to bring more then I can carry. But I just wanted to know size limitations or the such, just so that I don't accidentally encounter any sort of problems. And that seems like plenty of space.

by Metalrailz

TAMR213 STATED
Hi everyone, me and a family friend will be traveling Amtrak for the first time later this year in october, up to Syracuse for Super dirt week

Erik what exactly is Super Dirt week?

by whistler162

Metalrailz wrote:TAMR213 STATED
Hi everyone, me and a family friend will be traveling Amtrak for the first time later this year in october, up to Syracuse for Super dirt week

Erik what exactly is Super Dirt week?
http://www.dirtmotorsports.com/default. ... 0of%20Page

Auto racing.

by TAMR213

Hi everyone, sorry for the late post on this thread. But I have to prove to Amtrak that I am under the age of 16 in order to ride for free (as we have planned). Do I have to show the conductor? Ticket agent? Who? Also, I was wondering if this would be an acceptible way of proving my age: Having a certified copy of my birth certificate, and then also my school ID which has my name and photo (but no DOB). So this way, you can link the age to the face, by way of name. Thanks for all the help, and I can't wait until Thursday!

by Robert Paniagua

TAMR213 wrote:Hi everyone, sorry for the late post on this thread. But I have to prove to Amtrak that I am under the age of 16 in order to ride for free (as we have planned). Do I have to show the conductor? Ticket agent? Who? Also, I was wondering if this would be an acceptible way of proving my age: Having a certified copy of my birth certificate, and then also my school ID which has my name and photo (but no DOB). So this way, you can link the age to the face, by way of name. Thanks for all the help, and I can't wait until Thursday!
Yes, I think that only applies to children ages 5-11 to ride for free. Otherwise you can show your school ID and/or birth certificate, but its mostly for ages 5-11 years if you want to ride for free.

by TAMR213

I belive it is also up to age 15, because when we bought the tickets online, we were able to use the promotion, in order for me to ride for free, or half price. I'm not quite sure which.

SO please. I would appriciate any help. Thanks.