• Looking for decorated diesel shells in HO

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Tom Curtin

Do any of the manufacturers of plastic diesel bodies --- e.g., Athearn, Stewart, Intermountain, etc. . . . --- sell painted & lettered bodies only? Or does any "remarketer" of same?

I know you can generally order an undecorated body from a mnaufacturer like Athearn that maintains a parts catalog, but I don't have the patience to do paintng & decaling any more.

by astrosa

You can sometimes get decorated shells from Walthers, but that's mainly because they don't maintain a parts catalog per se. Instead, they seem to keep a stock of returned/damaged items from which they can salvage parts on request. If you're lucky, they'll have the roadname/number you want. But they're not a major manufacturer of locomotives, so that probably won't help you much.

Intermountain sells their F-unit shells prepainted, since although they make their own chassis, the shells are also intended to fit a variety of mechanisms.

Try eBay also, since sometimes a seller will buy a model, remove its mechanism for his own project, and then post the extra shell up for sale.
  by Tom Curtin

Ah --- good to know that!

Since I wouldn't expect to find a Walthers supply in their catalog, how would you recommend I go about determing what they might have at any given moment? Call, I guess.

by astrosa

Use the Customer Service form on their website to send an email. It'll be forwarded to the person in charge of the parts department.
  by Tom Curtin

Thank you
  by designkat1969

Kato sometimes sells decorated shells for as low as $10 each from their website. I have gotten several NW2 shells this way. They came with all the handrails, interior, and even the fuel tank.
Now I have to figure out how to modify an Athearn SW7 frame to accept these, unless I find Kato frames for a good price.

by Trackmobile

I have won several shells on ebay.The ones I won were GP38-2 and SD40-2 shells.Most come just shell and shell only so you will need handrails,horn,windows,ect. :P
  by denis

Tom,
I would try any of the manufacturers your interested in, for availablity of decorated shells.