• Private cars attached to the Cardinal

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by newpassenger

Does anyone know about the private cars that were attached to the Cardinal when it left CHI on Tues the 28th? It must have disenbarked in Indy because when I woke up it was gone.

Kim

by John_Perkowski

It'd help us if we knew names and/or Amtrak control numbers of the PVs.

PV operators are a fairly proud lot; many post their "latest journeys" on their websites

by newpassenger

Unfortunately I don't know any of this information as I'm all new to train travel . . . I just thought someone might have read something on another board somewhere about it!!

SORRY!!

by 7 Train

Morristown & Erie Railway "Ohio River" and "Mount Vernon".

by newpassenger

THANKS 7 Train,

Any idea where I can get some info on them??? I just glanced in the windows on my way to board but they looked VERY NICE!!!

Kim
  by Gilbert B Norman

Here is a good place to start, Ms. Newpassenger

http://www.aaprco.com/

We have at least one Member here who I believe is active in the Private Car community. I would think that the adiage I once saw posted aboard a yacht reading "a boat is a hole in the water down which the owner pours money" is equally applicable to a "PV".
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

by John_Perkowski

Ms Newpassenger,

Welcome to our community.

Private Cars come in about three flavors:

- Streamliner cars sold from the railroads to Amtrak on A-Day, and resold into private service as Amtrak retired its "Heritage Fleet."

- Streamliner and heavyweight cars sold into private ownership before A-Day and remaining since in private hands.

- Heavyweight business cars, surplus to the railroads, sold into private hands.

Mount Vernon is one of the first category. It was built in 1950 for the Pullman Company and the Union Pacific Railroad as a ten roomette, 6 double bedroom car Pacific Island. It crossed into Amtrak service in 1971, and ran until 1995. Now, at 50 years of service, its current owner stripped the roomettes, replacing them with a kitchen and lounge space. The car is now a 6DBR-buffet lounge configuration.

BTW, here is her URL: http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/

Typical leasing rates for these cars can run over between $2000 and $5000 a day.

by updrumcorpsguy

Just out of curiousity (and for when I win the Lotto ;-) , does the $2-5K per day rate include all mileage/Amtrak/etc charges?

by newpassenger

John,

Thanks for the info and the "welcome"!! I've just checked out the website and it sure was interesting to see the progression from Amtrak to private and all the modifications and renovations!!!!

THANKS!!

Kim

by John_Perkowski

It depends on the operator.

Let me send you out to the American Association of Private Rail Car Owner's website. They have plenty of information there. This will also whet Ms Newpassenger's appetite ;) :

http://www.aaprco.com

John

by chuchubob

The private cars on the Cardinal weren't a secret; see this message from earlier in the week:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6648

by John_Perkowski

Bob,

Point is not that there were PV attached to any one train, it's that a new member of our forum wanted education on what PVs were...
  by Gilbert B Norman

For those of here in the "Land of the Burlingtons", the 22 Car AAPRCO Special is returning from Missoula MT and is operating MSP-CHI via the BNSF. Scheduled arrival time at CUS is 530PM, which if on time would mean by 18.34 about 5PM. This movement has previously been noted here.

Unfortunately, there is no "calling up Julie on the cell' to find out this one's whereabouts.

by John_Perkowski

TODAY'S TRIVIA LESSON:

Whilst searching for the definition of a Parlor Car in another thread, I came across this gem:

From the 1943 Car Builders Cyclopedia:

AAR Recommeded Practice, Adopted 1910; Revised, 1942
(Manual-Page L-11)

A passenger train car is defined as a car suitably built to operate in passenger trains, its characteristics being: Passenger type of truck, passenger brake, air signal, steam train line, in accordance with definition and designating letters for general passenger equipment cars as follows:

Class "P"-Passenger
(types PA through PT omitted)...

"PV"-Private cars used as officers' or private individual's car and railroad pay car-usually composed of sleeping compartments, dining compartments, observation edn and with kitchen, servant's quarters and toilet and bathroom.

PV IS AN AAR TECHNICAL TERM!!! :) ... on the order of at least 60 years

John Perkowski

by newpassenger

John,

Thanks for the additional link . . . I didn't realize there were so many PV's available and with such different configurations!! I'd LOVE to check one out "up close and personal" . . . if you know what I mean!! :wink:

Kim