• zzz

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by SRS125

some of them Amtak P32's or P40's diesels do have the equipemt to run on electric by way of a shoe that rides the 3ed rail.
  by Gilbert B Norman

The locomotives with "a shoe that rides the third rail" are the P-32ACDM class;Road numbers 700-717. They use the "Genesis" carbody in common with the P-42 class.

The P-32ACDM are assigned to Albany, and regularly call there in assigned service. There are no problems positioning those locomotives for periodic maintenance.

The New York commuter agency, Metro North, also operates this type of locomotive as well. These locomotives of course assignmed to Metro North trains over the NEC between New Rochelle and New Haven.

But, barring some kind of emergency, I cannot find reason for an Amtrak P-32ACDM to operate over any portion of the NEC.
  by efin98

Gilbert B Norman wrote:But, barring some kind of emergency, I cannot find reason for an Amtrak P-32ACDM to operate over any portion of the NEC.
I think the same holds true for every diesel except those heading to or from Boston for maintnence runs.
  by jp1822

Didn't the Twilight Shoreliner switch from diesel to electric in New Haven (after the catenary was up and energized between New Haven and Boston)for a brief period of time? It was to help with the electric locomotive shortage - which is still a problem, but that's another story. The Shoreliner was kept under 125 mph on the corridor. But it wouldn't make sense to be in this area in daylight - unless it was running very very late!

by DutchRailnut

A "NEW HAVEN" innovation, right Mr. Norman?

Nope the NYC had tri modes long before New Haven had Dual modes. and a AC traction Dual mode is not even closely related to new Haven.

by Raakone

What exactly is a "tri-mode"? Do you mean the "overhead rail" that was retired shortly after PC went belly-up?

~Ra'akone

by DutchRailnut

New york Central had Diesel engines that could run of third rail and batteries, for entry into industrial plants when operating in New york city.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I guess it can be said that the railroad industry followed the automotive in the adoption of the internal combustion engine.

Well, based upon the info set forth by Mr. Dutch that dual mode locomotives having been around far longer than the New Haven's FL-9, it appears the shoe is now on the other foot.

What's the 'hot thing" in the automotive industry at present? isn't it the "dual mode" vehicle they have christened the HYBRID?

Lest we note, hybrids are not just for the "econo/envirocrowd"; Lexus will introduce one next year.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

in the other topic, the reason that CSX conductor suggested on why there were diesals on Regionals is because the genesis' probably had to go for their 92 day inspection, and Amtrak just sent them down south on a train instead of dead-heading it on another train
  by george matthews

jp1822 wrote:Didn't the Twilight Shoreliner switch from diesel to electric in New Haven (after the catenary was up and energized between New Haven and Boston)for a brief period of time? It was to help with the electric locomotive shortage - which is still a problem, but that's another story. The Shoreliner was kept under 125 mph on the corridor. But it wouldn't make sense to be in this area in daylight - unless it was running very very late!
Four years ago I took the train from Old Saybrook to New York. I was disappointed to see it was a diesel and changed as before at New Haven. Last year I was disappointed to see that the local (non-Amtrak) train from New Haven to Old Saybrook was still diesel.

by KFRG

Last year I was disappointed to see that the local (non-Amtrak) train from New Haven to Old Saybrook was still diesel.
That would be Shore Line East, owned by CDOT, operated by Amtrak. They use GP-40's and Bombardier shoreliner car's between NH and New London.

-Tom