• I only see commuter rail on the boston and albany line. Why?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by slashmaster

When I use to go to North Grafton or Framingham I would see a lot of freight trains but now it seems like every time a train is coming it is just commuter rail. Did they route the freight around this line so they could run commuter rail? Or do they run freights at a different time than I may be going?
  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

The B&A still sees a lot of traffic, but a good deal of it happens in the early morning hours, evening and overnight. This is so that CSX wont delay passenger trains that run out to Worcester. There are freight operations during the day, like the daily freights in/out of Framingham, but they run in between commuter trains. Park yourself at any station between Framingham and Worcester and between noon and 3, you can catch a good amount of freight traffic (on a good day)
  by frrc

Agreed, contrary to Lt. Governor Murray says, a majority of CSX freights run after hours, so not to compete with commuter rail. Still, the politicians have their "set in stone" attitudes...
  by NaDspr

On a weekday, the busiest time to see trains in the afternoon / evening between Framingham and Worcester is 6 pm and 10 pm.

B722 leaves Westboro and heads to Worcester, runs around its train usually between CP44 and CP45, then heads east on Tk 2,
switching at Sacks Whse (btwn CP39 and CP43) for about an hour, then switches the Grafton & Upton RR interchange, then Dana Films at CP33, then heads back to Framingham yard. Also in this time period, you will catch Q115, Q117, Q167, Q420 and
Amtk #448, the Boston section of the Lake Shore Limited. From time to time, other freight moves may take place on either track,
at any time, and in any direction. Commuter trains in this timeframe include 523, 527, 529, 533, 535, 536, 537.

In addition to the commuter trains and the westbound van trains, the Worcester area is usually pretty busy from 7 pm - 11 pm. Good chance of seeing Q427 off the B&M/Guilford/ST/PanAm/PAS (or whatever it will be called in the future) and Q426 going from CSX to the B&M at CP45. Also Q423 shoves out of the P&W at CP45 to go west on the B&A generally in this time frame.

Keep in mind that trackwork is currently going on at the west end of the B&A. This affects many of the "normal" train times on the east end of the B&A. Q421 and Q437 sometimes leave their origins (Boston and Framingham, respectively) in the afternoon. Even Amtrak passengers get to ride a bus between Boston and Albany 4 days a week due to the track work taking place that is right in the middle of when they would run.
  by diburning

Weekends seem to be the busiest because there are far fewer commuter trains going out that way. I see a lot of activity in the Framingham Yards and sometimes the westborough yard. I think there is a small yard near grafton and I see them do locomotive/equipment moves a lot. Worcester Yard also sees a lot of activity on saturdays (for example, the ethanol train)
  by Tracer

I am hoping to check out Washinginton hill in Chester for the first time in a couple weeks and i was wondering what would be the best day/time of the week to see the most trains at that location? (daytime)

Thanks
  by NaDspr

Be there when the sun comes up. There are usually 4 or 5 eastbounds, plus about 3 or 4 westbounds all by 1 pm.
  by CSX Conductor

Jonelle, go to the Mass RMV parking lot for yard ops. If you go west into Ashland between about 1100am/1200noon you can catch shots of Amtrak 448 as well as Q437 departing Framingham. I'd suggest either the train station, or the Cherry Street crossing. Usually the car inspector is just east of the old train station on the south side of the tracks to give the train a roll-by and most of us would drag through at 10 to 15mph tops so he can look and hear everything go by, so Cherry Street might be your best chance of photos before they pick-up alot of speed. You can also go on the roof of the garage across the street from the RMV for some shots from higher above ground.