• Late Night Metrorail Service

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Mdlbigcat

I was in DC on Friday, and since I had to wait to take the 3:15 am Amtrak to Philly, I had the fortune to notice the late-night operation of Metrorail. After using the service, I just have to say that this should be used not only on weekends, but should be expanded to the other days as well. Washington is no longer a town that rolls up their sidewalks at 6 pm [as it was back in the late 70's and 80's when I lived there], and since the trackwork issue is basically a non-issue [now that they are moving the work to weekday nights], I think Metrorail should expand the service hours in this manner:

Weekdays -- 5 am to 3 am

Weekends and Holidays -- 6am to 3 am.

WMATA would no longer have to do the cumbersome job of extending service to accomondate special events [like night Redskins/National games and those special early-morning marathons like the Marine Corps marathon and other events], and would go a long way to making the system even more hip and trendy to DC's young professional population [which dominated the system on Friday night.] who go to the various many nightspots spread out all over downtown.

I really think that it could work, and help give Metrorail that "hipness" cachet the NYC Subway has.