• Photos of the first two Metro Cars from 1974

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Sand Box John

"polybalt"
Thank you.

I am 99% sure the top speed allowed by the WMATA signal ATP system was 75mph. Revenue trains could never run above this speed. Of course test trains often ran with the ATP cut out, so might get a little faster. In an attempt to protect the motors from damage there was an overspeed trip function in the propulsion control equipment set slightly higher.

The following is from a WMATA document dated 04-06-2004 that is not publicly published. When I first saw the table of ATS Speed Commands I was surprise to discover that the highest speed command was 79 MPH.

ATS speed commands are used to modify train performance. Speeds are selected to maintain schedules, adjust train performance during inclement weather, etc. ATS speeds are not used for safe train operation and are not fail safe in design. In the event a train fails to receive an ATS speed command, it will operate at the ATP limiting speeds. ATS speeds can only reduce the trains regulated speed and never exceed the ATP limiting speed. ATS speeds are combined with acceleration rates (full or half) to create performance levels. Each station TWC (Train to Wayside Communications) transmitter is programed to transmit only four of the fourteen possible ATS speeds. This will give eight performance levels when combined with the two acceleration rates. Fly-By transmitters, located on the approach to selected stations, are used to transmit an ATS speed command of 24 MPH during inclement weather.

ATS SPEED COMMANDS
14 MPH
19 MPH
24 MPH
29 MPH
34 MPH
39 MPH
44 MPH
49 MPH
54 MPH
59 MPH
64 MPH
69 MPH
74 MPH
79 MPH

The remainder of the document contains tables of "Normalized ATS performance levels for station TWC transmitters" combined with "Inclement weather maximum allowable performance levels".

It was possible to trick the system to get slightly higher speeds. If I remember right, there were two manually operated thumb switches for wheel wear correction, one for the propulsion control and one for the ATP system. New wheels were 28" diameter and allowed to wear down to 25". When the cars got their wheels trued, or replaced, these switches were supposed to be set to the current wheel diameter. When delivered all the cars had new 28" wheels, so setting the switches to the setting for maximum wear could get you another 10% in top speed.

This may explain why some have said they have seen actual speeds displayed on the operators console that were greater then 75 MPH. It also might be an explanation as to why consists of cars from different car series (Rhor, Breda 2000, 3000, 4000, CFA/AAI and Alstom) tend to fight one another when under acceleration.

by nwafreak

Polybalt, thanks for the link to the photos. They were absolutely beautiful. They were so shiny and new. Nice clear photos too. I see the design hasn't changed much at all. Again, thanks.
  by WMATA Black-Black

As far as the top speed for the rail cars all you need to do is look at the accident report from 1/6/96 collision at Shady Grove .
http://www.ntsb.gov/publictn/1996/RAR9604.pdf
On page 85 there is a track circuit speed layout and if you look at circuit A2-888 thru A2-905 at the bottom all the speeds are above 75 even though ATP was limited to 75. And this was under ATO. I have been aboard trains being operated Mode 2 and clearly going to 79 if not higher.
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Good pics of some of the first ROHR cars back in the mid 70s-I have always liked the car design in and out of WMATA equipment and I wonder how they would have held up over the years had they been constructed of stainless steel instead of aluminum? How many are still in service today and is METRO looking to retire them?

I got a real kick out of that old diesel Mercedes-Benz car used in tunnels pictured-I noticed the red on white late 70s MD license plates on the car dating it for me. In closing it is hard to believe these pics are 33-34 years old! MACTRAXX
  by Sand Box John

"MACTRAXX"
Everyone: Good pics of some of the first ROHR cars back in the mid 70s-I have always liked the car design in and out of WMATA equipment and I wonder how they would have held up over the years had they been constructed of stainless steel instead of aluminum? How many are still in service today and is METRO looking to retire them?

300 cars were produced from Rohr between the years 1974 and 1978 along with one shell that was delivered unfitted. One of the two cars in the Federal Triangle wreck on 01 13 1982 was damaged beyond repair (1029) 1028 is used for clearance checking. 1076 and 1077 were damaged beyond repair in the Woodly Park-Zoo wreck on 11 03 2004. Four cars 1010-1011, 1044-1045 have been converted for revenue collection service and are renumbered 8000-8003. All of the remaining 292 cars are used for passenger service.

The next procurement of cars, 7k, will replace the 1k cars. The plan is to produce 50 cars per year over 10 years beginning in 2014. It is likely that the 7k will replace the 1k cars. 128 of the 500 cars are for the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project.
Last edited by Sand Box John on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by Robert Paniagua

It is likely that the 1k will replace the 1k cars. 128 of the 500 cars are for the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project.

You mean the 7k will replace the 1k cars, I think
  by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"
It is likely that the 1k will replace the 1k cars. 128 of the 500 cars are for the Dulles Corridor Metrorail Project.

You mean the 7k will replace the 1k cars, I think

Error corrected. Thank you Robert.
  by Robert Paniagua

No problem my friend... Now,these nw 7k's I hope they do better tha the Rohr's 'cause I've got issues riding them, the only good thing I like about the 1K cars is the railfan seat which is sideways and unlike all newer classes, it does not face away from the operator's cab thus making it more harder to see out front, maybe they should turn around those railfan seats like the Rohrs so that way I don't have to turn my whole body to see out front (unless I'm seating in the outer seat).
  by Sand Box John

quote="Robert Paniagua"
Now, these new 7k's I hope they do better tha the Rohr's 'cause I've got issues riding them, the only good thing I like about the 1K cars is the railfan seat which is sideways and unlike all newer classes, it does not face away from the operator's cab thus making it more harder to see out front, maybe they should turn around those railfan seats like the Rohrs so that way I don't have to turn my whole body to see out front (unless I'm seating in the outer seat).

The seating layout of the 7k will have both. A pair of longitudinal seats next to the door and a pair of backwards facing seat under the glass cab partition on both sides of the isle.

The cab end doors on the 7k cars have been moved away from the end of the car by roughly 3'