• Looking for pictures of LAL 2-8-2 #17

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

by TB Diamond

lutherkb: Have one 35mm color slide of LA&L #17 that I purchased several years ago. Photographer unknown and undated, but the slide was processed by Kodak in April, 1967. Shows #17 pulling a train into Livonia from Avon. If recall serves, #17 was acquired in 1965 and entered service in 1966. The engine was replaced by #38 in 1968 and was sold for scrap. The tender was saved, however and was used on #38.

by Aa3rt

No photo (sorry) but we did have a discussion of this locomotive about two years ago in the New York State forum:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2948
  by Luther Brefo

TB Diamond wrote:lutherkb: Have one 35mm color slide of LA&L #17 that I purchased several years ago. Photographer unknown and undated, but the slide was processed by Kodak in April, 1967. Shows #17 pulling a train into Livonia from Avon. If recall serves, #17 was acquired in 1965 and entered service in 1966. The engine was replaced by #38 in 1968 and was sold for scrap. The tender was saved, however and was used on #38.
Would it be possible for you to scan them?
  by TB Diamond

Alas, do not have a scanner. Will attempt to take a shot of it and email same to you. Lived in Lakeville through the summer of 1967 and would hear #17 blowing for crossings. Never photographed it, however, this being an era where there was no personal interest in doing so.
  by Luther Brefo

TB Diamond wrote:Alas, do not have a scanner. Will attempt to take a shot of it and email same to you. Lived in Lakeville through the summer of 1967 and would hear #17 blowing for crossings. Never photographed it, however, this being an era where there was no personal interest in doing so.
Whatever you can do would be great! Thanks!
  by Aa3rt

Warning: Dormant topic being revived!

Happened to find this photo postcard of LA&L #17 that I purchased at a gift shop in Livonia in 1969 or 1970. The #17 had been built by Baldwin in 1923 (or 1924, depending on your reference), construction number 58683, weighing 125 tons with 54" drivers. She began her life as Savannah & Atlanta #504. Eventually she went to the Elk River Coal & Lumber Company and finally the Buffalo Creek & Gauley, although the owner is in dispute. Hope this is what you were looking for.

by Aa3rt

Sorry for the grainy quality of these scans, I tried several times with different settings but this is about as good as you're going to get. At least you can make out the loco. I remember her sitting dead on the Lakeville siding on my first visit to the LA&L in 1969. (We rode behind the former H&BTM #38.) On our visit in 1970, we discovered that the loco had been scrapped.