• CSX Trenton Line

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by DeviousDiesel

Hello all! I have recently rediscovered railroading through the eyes of my toddler son. This seems to be an excellent forum for discussing the past, present, and future of railroading in America.

That being said, I'm looking for updated information concerning CSX freight operations on the CSX Trenton Line within the city limits of Philadelphia. I know this line used to be known as the New York Short Line during the Reading years. This is the closest freight line to where I live; consequently, it's the line of choice for introducing my son to modern, real-life freight line operations.

I know that the famed Tropicana Juice Train travels this line through the city, as well as numerous "garbage" trains, mixed freights, and TOFC movements. I imagine that no such thing as a freight timetable exists anymore, but I'm hoping someone can give me an idea as to the numbers and frequencies of freight movements on this line.

Thanks in advance!
  by kevikens

I grew up right next to the Reading's NY Shortline cutoff ( Cheltenham Junction). lots of cigar ban Reading F 3's, Alco RS 3's (RS 1 to Reading) and the B&O's Royal Blue. I still like to railfan that CSX Trenton Line. Until recently I would hang out at the Olney station but the station was just torn down and the area is probably not the best with a toddler. You might want to try Cheltenham. It's safe and you will also see SEPTA. You can sit at the station or get a good view from the Martin's Mill ( Old Soldiers Rd) bridge and when your son gets tired of trains you can take the half mile drive to Tookany Park. If you are closer to Bucks County try the Langehorn/ Pendel station. Again you will have SEPTA while waiting for the freight. As for train times there is an AM train travelling from Philly northward (East) that clears Cheltenham anywhere from 7:30 to 9:30 and one in the late PM about 3:30 to 5:30. There are other trains during the day but it is not a heavily used line. You might want to get a scanner. CSX is very good at broadcasting the location of moving trains. The frequency for the Trenton Line is 160.980 When you hear Laurel Hill think 20-25 minutes to Cheltenham, Nice (town) about 5 minutes later, Newtown Jct another 5-10 minutes and about 10 minutes later the train should be there. I hope you have as much enjoyment there as I did when my father took me to this location when I was a toddler. There was steam then and we would take the Newtown Local into Wayne Jct and Reading Terminal just for the train experience. My elementary school was at that location ( Presentation-it's still there) and I would spend my recess and luch time at the station watching trains. Anyway, I digress. Happy rails.
  by DeviousDiesel

Kev -- Thanks for the frequency information, I have an old scanner from before Phila FD switched over to the 800 MHz trunked system (I'm a fireman in the city). The former Newtown Tower is in my company's first due local and we also respond to all technical rescues and hazmat incidents along the entire length of the Trenton Sub from the Schuylkill River to the city limits in the far NE. I myself grew up in Mayfair and was a train watcher at Holmesburg Jct over where the Bustleton Branch leaves the NEC. I remember when the tower was still manned! This board has been a great resource for RR history in Philly, thanks again for the information! Pat