• Radio channel 10?

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by fw2008

Hi;
The other day I was listening to the CSX Riverline on 160.980. The crew was about to receive a train order, and asked to go to channel 10.
Can anyone tell me what the frequency of channel 10 is?
I have the lists, but channel numbers aren't listed for all, and I don't see a 10.

Thanks

FW
  by DutchRailnut

by EMTRailfan

DutchRailnut wrote:AAR channel guide :
http://www.qsl.net/n4jri/aar_ch.htm
May not be so. The way a lot of individual RRs have their radio "channels" programmed doesn't aways coorespond with the AAR channels. Radio channel 1 is usually the primary road or disp. channel regardless of what AAR CH#1 is, etc. Not sure how Class 1's work since power can be anywhere at anytime, so the AAR guide makes sense. Might take deeper digging. Can't help with the original question though.
  by mmi16

The AAR Channel designation are the channels that are used by Class I's. Depending upon the road, each Dispatching District will have designated channels. A specified Road Channel that all trains must monitor, except when directed to an alternate channel for a specific communications purpose. There is also normally a MofW channel on each Sub Division. There is a tremendous amount of radio communications that takes place in an operating railroad and all that communications cannot take place on a single channel without multiple parties walking all over the other parties that are also trying to communicate.

Normally the designated Road Channel is effective over the entire length of a Sub Division. There are normally multiple Radio Towers strategically located over the length of the Sub Division. Trains communicating with at Dispatcher from the East End of a Sub Division normally cannot hear trains on the West End of the Sub Division as the Dispatcher will control which radio tower his communications is being transmitted from.
  by fw2008

I recall back in the '80's when Conrail's River Line (now CSX) from N. Bergen NJ to Selkirk NY was on 160.800. The problem with that freq was that Amtrak was also using in on the NEC in NJ.
The Conrail dispatcher was constantly getting stepped on by Amtrak, and finally they changed the road channel for the River Line to 160.980, which is still is today.

FW