• Hotels near the tracks in Altoona

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by GLC 392

is there any hotels next to the track that are nice in Altoona? and is there any infomation you guys can give me about Altoona, the shops, and Horseshoe Curve?
  by 2nd trick op

Years ago, downtown Altoona had a relatively modern high-rise motel called the Town House, with good views of the former PRR. Unfortunately, most business activity is concentrted on the other side of the ridge, along Pleasant Valley Boulevard (US 220), which is not located within sight of the railroad. The Town House went out of business in the late 1980's.

BUT, if you're coming to Altoona from the East, or planning any activity involving Penn State, I'd recommend a motel called the Vista-Vu, about 4 miles east of Huntingdon on US 22. Most of the rooms have a good view of the former Pennsy main, which is directly across the highway. The Spruce Creek Tunnel area, probably the most photogenic location on the former Middle Division, is situated between Huntingdon and Altoona. At Water Street, take Penna Route 45 North for about 5 miles The road descends into the Juniata Valley on a sttep grade and ducks undere the PRR main. This was also reportedly a favorite fishing spot of President Carter during his years in the White House.

In addition, the former HUNT interlocking tower, in downtown Huntingdon, was preserved, and was operating as headquarters for the local para-transit agency the last time I visited which, regrettably, was quite a few ywars ago. And it's only another 15 miles or so to the East Broad Top, and its well-preserved steam shop complex, at Orbisonia.
  by chuchubob

by GLC 392

ok i might have to check out the east broad top, nice photo of the Tower.
  by scooter3798

Check out this thread...

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=130&t=44812

Also I would also recommend hitting the middle division if you are coming from the east, this area is really under photographed, and provides some really beautiful scenery that most people just by pass. From Thompsontown to Mifflin there is a lot of good stuff including some nice afternoon shots at Port Royal and Mifflin. If coming from the south I would also highly recomend a stop in Cumberland, or a trip up Sand Patch (blows NS out of the water scenery wise) or over to Magnolia. Also if you are going to be shooting on the mountain, don't be afraid to go further west than Cresson or Cassandra, there is plenty to be had between Portage and Johnstown.

Scooter
  by GLC 392

i will definatley consider those places.