• Modeling questions

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

by steamfan6325

While I'm waiting for my decals I have started to work on #18. I've started with a spectrum consolidation frame and will be kitbashing or scratchbuilding everything else. For the tender I am using spectrum's small baldwin tender. This, of course, will also have to be modified to better represent #18's ( well, actually #14's) tender. I'll post pictures as soon as I get a chance to take some halfway decent ones.
  by Benjamin Maggi

For modeling #14 in HO scale, might I suggest the Bachmann ten-wheelers. They have two models, a "high boiler" and a "low boiler". I think the high boiler is the best bet, because the boiler is nearly horizontal (the low boiler has a much more dramatic step up in boiler diameter sizes as you move from pilot to cab. I have no idea what driver size the real #14 was. I was just about to build one when I switched from HO scale to N/G scale.

High boiler and 63" drivers: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ ... ductId=162

Low boiler and 52" drivers: http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/ ... ductId=157

In case anyone doesn't know, a good source of A&A decals is MODERN RAILS (google it), owned by Ricky Rupp. A great guy, very helpful, and knows his stuff as well.
  by steamfan6325

I have started a thread in the scale model railroading board in this forum called "Arcade and Attica #18 in HO" regarding my attempt at modeling #18.
As for # 14, that may come after #18 and #112 are done. Don't want too many irons in the fire.
  by steamfan6325

Better pics of #112, a passenger car (I have 2 of them) and the gon.
(the gon is "grimy black", not blue. must have something to do with the lighting)
  by jgallaway81

Looks Very Sharp. Keep'em Comin!
  by steamfan6325

Update: decals have been ordered. As soon as they come in and I get them on I will post pictures.
  by steamfan6325

Decals came!
  by steamfan6325

by jgallaway81

They ARE very sharp, excellent work. You should be very proud of your efforts.
  by steamfan6325

My models wouldn't look good at all if it wasn't for the decals from Modern Rails. Many thanks to Ben for sending me to Modern Rails.
  by awwos

Hi,

I am going to do a model of the A&A 18. I remember a long time ago they used to have the coal and water specs painted on the back of the tender. Does anyone happen to have a picture of these details? They apparently decided not to put them on after the last re-paint.

Thanks!

Andrew
  by steamfan6325

awwos wrote:Hi,

I am going to do a model of the A&A 18. I remember a long time ago they used to have the coal and water specs painted on the back of the tender. Does anyone happen to have a picture of these details? They apparently decided not to put them on after the last re-paint.

Thanks!

Andrew
This info would be helpful to me also. I've got a t-shirt with a picture of 18 all black with white "tires" and orange lettering and I kind of like that scheme. My version of 18 is a long way from the paint stage, but when I get to that point I'm considering painting her in that scheme. It's between that and the current paint scheme.

Jon
  by steamfan6325

#112 Out in the Sunshine! (taken on a simple diorama outside with real trees and sky as the background)
  by jgallaway81

Looks gorgeous! Keep up the good work.

As for the tender info, I'm looking for picks of the tender now... stand by.
  by jgallaway81

Answer is: 5tons coal, 6,000gal water. I don't have any good pics, however, I manage to snag a couple screenshots from Jerry's DVD's...

Sorry, they are the best I can do. Hope they are clear enough that you can feel certain that those numbers are right.