• NS 5329 to Waterville for repairs

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by NV290

It derailed pulling through the west end of the yard on SEED and a piece of rail punctured the fuel tank. It's headed to Waterville for repairs.
  by b&m 1566

Was there any leakage of fuel? I've heard of stories lately that they have tried to cover up oil spills and such, I hope this isn't the case.
  by NV290

b&m 1566 wrote:Was there any leakage of fuel? I've heard of stories lately that they have tried to cover up oil spills and such, I hope this isn't the case.
There was a leak. But nothing was hidden. There is cleanup equipment in Deerfield still. From what i heard, it was a few hundred gallons.
  by b&m 1566

How does a spill get cleaned up like this one? Just remove the contaminated soil or is there more to it.
Sorry, not so much a railroad question but rather a curious question on how spills like this one in E. Deerfield are dealt with.
  by roberttosh

Pretty sure you just have to dig up the soil/stone that was contaminated by the oil and dispose of it. If the spill is over a certain amount of gallons you have to report it to DEP I think. Even relatively small spills such as this can end up costing quite a bit if you need to bring in someone like Clean Harbors.
  by NHN503

Best person around here to ask would be SLR 393. I think he owns a hazmat company.