• 2008 Q1 PAR newsletter available

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by MEC407

A new issue of the Pan Am Clipper has been posted on PAR's web site:

http://www.panamrailways.com/xpress/2008Q1.pdf

by johnpbarlow

Re: DAF's Patriot Corridor note, "...two new passing sidings..." will be installed - I wonder where?

by atholrail

Another new customer in Ayer, good to hear!

by Finch

I see that Norfolk Southern is "the premier Class 1 railroad in America." :P Well, close enough I guess.

I know it's all glossy and stuff, but it's nice to read the Pan Am Clipper and learn about the good stuff going on in the Pan Am system. Interesting articles in there. I notice it mentions Larson's Transload in North Billerica, and from Google Maps it appears that Larson's is right in/near the old shops, near Iron Horse Park and the like. Is there much traffic that goes in and out of that area? Clearly the facility is not what it once was. Clearly the shops are no longer active, but I don't know about random customers in the area. Aerial photos show a few lines of cars sitting around. How much rail activity happens around there?

by Gerry6309

Notice how the Black Locomotive in the Pan Am scheme mixes in well with the NS scheme?

by Otto Vondrak

It's not black, it's a very deep Navy blue. That was a dark photo taken on a dark day of a dark locomotive. So now Pan Am has a "Dark Future" scheme to complement the light blue "Bright Future" Pan Am scheme!

-=otto-

by MEC407

We can now refer to the original Guilford paint schemes as "Dark Past." :wink:

by doublebell

Note the lack of mention of anything aviation related.

John, The guy in the white car with the wing on back

by Rockingham Racer

On another forum, I read the one siding will be at Pownal, VT.
Shady Jay will have to keep us posted!

by JCitron

Otto Vondrak wrote:It's not black, it's a very deep Navy blue. That was a dark photo taken on a dark day of a dark locomotive. So now Pan Am has a "Dark Future" scheme to complement the light blue "Bright Future" Pan Am scheme!

-=otto-
The dark blue with the gold lettering (I think the font is a form of Garamond bold) is actually quite nice. It definitely beats the old Guilford gray with orange and plain Helvetica font. This combination always looked cheap.

Maybe this is a sign of things are changing and moving in the right direction.

John

by MEC407

JCitron wrote:The dark blue with the gold lettering...
Gold? Looks white to me.

by JCitron

MEC407 wrote:
JCitron wrote:The dark blue with the gold lettering...
Gold? Looks white to me.
I thought it was white too, but if you look at the photo in the lower right corner, the lettering is yellow (gold). Either way it's a lot better than what they had before.

John

by MEC407

JCitron wrote: I thought it was white too, but if you look at the photo in the lower right corner, the lettering is yellow (gold).
What photo are you referring to? Sorry, I'm confused.

by NHN503

MEC407 wrote:
JCitron wrote: I thought it was white too, but if you look at the photo in the lower right corner, the lettering is yellow (gold).
What photo are you referring to? Sorry, I'm confused.
Ditto... Looks white/sliverish to me. What photo are you referring to JC?

by shadyjay

Rockingham Racer wrote:On another forum, I read the one siding will be at Pownal, VT.
Shady Jay will have to keep us posted!
You know, to this day, I've only been down to the tracks in Pownal once? That's like a 3-hour drive for me, and given these high gas prices, my personal off-the-clock traveling has been limited. I'm up by Montpelier... just getting down to Rutland takes over 1 1/2 hrs. But I do work down there on occasion though just finished up a job there a couple weeks ago... within ear shot of the PA main. Its easier for me to get progress on the Bennington & Rutland line of VTRS, but whatever I can get/find out, I'll pass along.