• Parking at MARC Stations around Odenton, MD

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by MARCNewbie

I was wondering if some kind folks could chime in about the parking situation at the Odenton, Jessup, Dorsey, and Savage stations. The girlfriend works in DC and we're looking at making the move from Silver Spring to Columbia sometime in the next year. We're curious how quickly the parking lots fill up at the stations above. Thanks!

by HokieNav

Odenton is the busiest station on the Penn line, from what I've read - using it daily, I'll certainly not dispute the fact.

There are 3 lots at Odenton, 2 on the SB side of the tracks, 1 on the southbound side, connected by a tunnel under the tracks. The NB lot is the smallest, it fills up with folks headed for the 6:24 train (this is the lot I use, as it's closer to my house). Of the two lots on the SB side, the closer one reportedly fills up by 7:30 or 8, and the farther one (still a short walk) pretty much always has spaces available.

I would HIGHLY recommend planing on using Odenton, as that's the only station that you mentioned that's on the Penn line - many, many more trains, more often. It gives you a lot more flexibility on when to go to and from work, and many more options to leave early/stay late. The Penn line also has mostly the Kawasaki bi-level cars, which are the nicest in the fleet. I've driven to Savage a handful of times and the commute is nice, the Penn Line is just nicer. :)

Hope this helps!

Ryan

by MARCNewbie

Ryan, thanks a lot for the information. Being on the Penn line is definitely preferable, I was just concerned the whole parking lot was taken up by 8am. Sounds like it can accomidate one or two more commuters!

Thanks again.