• the Batz Truck

• Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.
Discussion related to Baldwin Locomotive Works, Lima Locomotive Works, Lima-Hamilton Corporation, and Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton.

Moderator: lumpy72

by wess

Does anyone have a photo of a Baldwin riding on Batz trucks? I remember reading somewhere that it was a Santa Fe patent and that Baldwin had been licensed to use this truck design. I dont know if Santa Fe,s Baldwins were the only one riding on this type of truck. And I have run accross someone who has never seen it. I know it looks similar to the type B truck but different that it had a lower center of gravity I think?

by Allen Hazen

I think the OLD Kalmbach "Diesel Spotter's Guide" had a photo of the truck. I think it was used on only a very small number of very early Baldwin switchers-- a number in single digits!
Visually, at least, the truck resembles the pilot trucks of (BLW-built) 4-8-4 steam locomotives of the Santa Fe (and also, i.i.r.c., of one of the norther transcons: NP or GN).
For railroad photo archives: "Railroading in the Northeast" (may not have the wording exact) and the "Fallen Flags" site are good (though it would help, in finding a photo on "Fallen Flags," to know what railroad you were looking for).

by alchemist

Pinkepank's The Second Diesel Spotter's Guide has photos of three Baldwins with Batz trucks, all from 1939-1940 era. RDG #60 has no model designation, CG #5 is a VO660 and ATSF # 2206 is a VO1000.

The estimable Wikipedia mentions the Batz truck in its article on the VO1000 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_VO-1000 ). Interestingly it was apparently designed as a lead truck for steam locos.
  by kalvingp30fan

Do any Bladwins with their Batz Truck still exist?