• Harlem River bridge replacement date

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by BaltOhio

Anybody out there know the date (rough will do) that NYC replaced its mainline bridge over the Harlem River in NY City with the present lift bridge? Thanks in advance for any help.
  by H.F.Malone

About 1950-51, from what I recall. There were pics of the process in one of the Ed Nowak photo books.

by shlustig

The present bridge was constructed in summer of 1953 replacing the swing bridge.

New York Central System Historical Society Headlight for 2nd Quarter 2005 has a cou[ple of good photographs of the construction in progress.

by trlinkcaso

The November 1953 Headlight says the bridge was built in 2 stages with the first section of the new bridge to be completed in 1954 and the second span in 1956.

http://www.canadasouthern.com/caso/head ... 1153-1.jpg

by BaltOhio

Thanks to everyone -- that pegs it close enough for me.

by Dieter

Ditto on 53.

There was a pre-9/11 plan to remove the concrete counterweights from the present bridge which seems to have been abandoned or postponed.

A few months ago on a weekend ride into New York City around mid-morning, I was surprised to see the deck with the two tracks on the north side of the bridge RAISED, but I didn't see any workmen around it.

Now a fly in the ointment. What's the years on the bridge the present one replaced? It came out in 53, when was it built?

D/