• Auto Hauler from Benecia CA to Tampa FL - Question???

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by Lmcgolf

Shipcsx.com is still available, although you have to have a user ID and password to log on and those are only given out to customers and selected employees.

On average, a train from Chicago to Jacksonville takes about 24-30 hours. Some times faster and of course some times slower. Add another 8 to that from JAX to Tampa.

Today was a holiday? I just got off and it was just another monday for me.

by Heli411

My question was answered - Thank You CSX !!!
Last edited by Heli411 on Thu May 29, 2008 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

by qboy

If its coming from UP from Benicia, Ca through the Chicago Terminal to interchange to CSX it can depend its a solid autorack train or in Block on Manifest trains it can spend just alone as little as 12hrs to as much 24hrs or more being block or sorted.

by Heli411

My question was answered - Thank You CSX !!!
Last edited by Heli411 on Thu May 29, 2008 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Lmcgolf

sounds about right.

by mmi16

Heli411 wrote:My question was answered - Thank You CSX !!!
So your car came in?

by Heli411

No, but I know as of this AM it was in Louisville, KY and southbound. I'm going to have to check with the rail head tomorrow and Saturday. Worst case scenario says Monday. I have to go out of town on assignment next week and might be away for one to three months. I didn't want my paid for car sitting on a dealers lot for that time. I'm crossing my fingers for Saturday, I don't want to pester CSX anymore... they were very helpful.

I just was under the impression these trains only took 2 to 3 days to Tampa. I suppose there is a reason I was given a Monday ETA from Louisville.

by mmi16

The BALLPARK figure on an idividual automobile to go from completion on a West Coast assembly line to delivery to the final customer at an East Coast dealership (or vice versa) is approximately 2 weeks,

Day 0 - Assembly completed
Day 1 - Delivered to Distribution Center for rail car loading
Day 2 - Loaded on Rail Car and dispatched on trip.
7 to 10 days cross country transit
Day 12 - Rail car delivered to destination Distribution Center
Day 13 - Individual automobile unloaded and staged for truck pick up
Day 14 - Truck delivers automobile to dealership
Day 15 - Dealership performs final delivery cleanup and delivery prep.

Your milage may vary.

by Heli411

I guess this is the part that is "fuzzy" -

7 to 10 days cross country transit
Day 12 - Rail car delivered to destination Distribution Center

The switch over from UP to CSX took place yesterday - Wed. 5/29/08. We had been told it took place Monday... bad info.

So, as of this morning it was on it's way from Louisville, KY with an ETA (according to CSX) of Monday 06/02/08 which is cutting it REALLY close for me. I leave on the 5th. I am hoping we get lucky and the train arrives in Tampa early. Is that possible?