Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by TheKornGuy

Every morning I take the F train from 75th Ave to get to work. Manhattan bound, 75 Ave is the last local stop in Queens for the F. Today, my F train arrived on the R/V/G local platform at 71st continental and an announcement was made that it was a "local F train." Curious to see what the heck was going on, I stuck around for a few minutes. What I observed is that every OTHER F train was arriving on the local track and was announced as a "local F train." Did something happen today with the express line, or is this something new that they have now started to do? Anyone know the inside scoop on this?
  by Allan

TheKornGuy wrote:Every morning I take the F train from 75th Ave to get to work. Manhattan bound, 75 Ave is the last local stop in Queens for the F. Today, my F train arrived on the R/V/G local platform at 71st continental and an announcement was made that it was a "local F train." Curious to see what the heck was going on, I stuck around for a few minutes. What I observed is that every OTHER F train was arriving on the local track and was announced as a "local F train." Did something happen today with the express line, or is this something new that they have now started to do? Anyone know the inside scoop on this?
There was track and other work going on along the Queen Blvd line. The R was being terminated at Queens Plaza and the G at Court Square. All E and F trains were making local stops.
  by Kamen Rider

Allan wrote:
TheKornGuy wrote:Every morning I take the F train from 75th Ave to get to work. Manhattan bound, 75 Ave is the last local stop in Queens for the F. Today, my F train arrived on the R/V/G local platform at 71st continental and an announcement was made that it was a "local F train." Curious to see what the heck was going on, I stuck around for a few minutes. What I observed is that every OTHER F train was arriving on the local track and was announced as a "local F train." Did something happen today with the express line, or is this something new that they have now started to do? Anyone know the inside scoop on this?
There was track and other work going on along the Queen Blvd line. The R was being terminated at Queens Plaza and the G at Court Square. All E and F trains were making local stops.
the OP was talking about a weekday rush set up (which i've seen myself several times in the past week.

by TheKornGuy

Correct, I am speaking about rush hour trains. And for the past two weeks it has been happening! Every other Manhattan bound F train is local in Queens. Someone HAS to know what the heck is going on here!! And why the heck are they not informing commuters???

by TheKornGuy

Seems that I have found the answer to my question. For anyone who is still interested....

http://mta.info/nyct/service/subsrvnf.htm

"Some Manhattan-bound trains run local from 71-Continental Avs to 21
St-Queensbridge
Rush hours until Jul 3, 5 AM to 10 AM Mon to Fri

How does this affect my trip?
~~ Please allow additional travel time.

Why is service being changed?
We are making signal improvements to ensure that trains continue to
operate safely along the F line."