• Restored Pullman car headed to the Falls

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by videobruce

PPCX 800713 is headed to the Bridge on 626 tonight.
Anyone know the owner and history of this car and is it for the Falls Road excursions?

It is a tail end heavyweight car that is in impectable condition! It has 'Pullman' across the top with the name "Federal" below the windows.
  by clearblock

It is privately owned. It is headed to Niagara Falls for interchange to Amtrak to deadhead to Chicago for the AAPRCO trip which departs Chicago on 9/16.

by Otto Vondrak

The Federal was built in 1912, and was part of the Pullman pool fleet. Currently privately owned.

-otto-

by videobruce

What are they going to do, send it to Rensselar and them west on 49?

Where did it come from and rebuilt?

by clearblock

It was most recently restored and brought up to Amtrak standards by Mid-America Locomotive & Car Repair in Evansville, IN in 2002. The current move originated on the OMID.

It is up to Amtrak how they get it to Chicago. It may go from the Falls to New York and then put on a Chicago train there.

by videobruce

I would assume (no cracks) it would be put on the rear of 49 at Rensselar since 49 has to be switched anyway.
I don't have anyway of posting a pic here, but someone else found a pic of this:

http://abpr.railfan.net/abprphoto.cgi?o ... redirect=1

I have seen many restored cars, but this is well above most of what I have seen so far!

by scottychaos

This car sat in Webster, NY (on the OMID) for a year or more!
always wondered why it was there..
at first I assumed it was the LAL inspection car, since LAL is running the OMID now, but its not the LAL business car..

anyone know why it sat in Webster so long?
very odd location..
Scot

by SST

What's the best way to find what Pullman car ran for which RR? There is a very old and rusted Pullman here in Tonawanda on River Rd. The name of the car is "Anadore." "Pullman" on top but no other visible markings. How do I find out who operated it?

by CRHauf

Scot,

Quick clarification. OMID remains an independent shortline as far as I know and is not a part of the LAL system. The Ontario Central (ONCT) IS part of the LAL system and OMID and ONCT were once affiliated as I understand it.

As for the FEDERAL, like any private car, one needs a place to store your car. Since the owners are Rochester based and like everything, there is always something to work on and improve, the car was in Webster for both storage and continued improvements by the owners. The car is AMTRAK certified, is privately owned and as has been posted, is on its way to be AAPRCO convention out west.

SST, here is a great website to track the history of Pullman cars.

http://home.att.net/~pullmanproject/

I have just begun to take a look at it, but it is a project to catalog online all of the Pullman builders cards. Not sure if it will answer your what railroads question each car ran for, but it is a start.

Until later,
Chris

by clearblock

The reason I believe the car will be routed to NY and not Rensselaer is that all trains from the Falls run through to NY. It would involve a significant delay to hold an eastbound train at Rensselaer while the car is switched out and would also delay 49 to add another switching move.

It is simpler to stick the car on the end of anything going to NY. Then, while the train sits idle after arrival at NY, a switcher pulls the car off of that consist and sticks it on a consist being made up for a Chicago train.

by roadster

I saw this car on 9/1, last week sitting at the CSX/OMID interchange in Newark, NY MP 342. The next evening, I saw it sitting in Lyons NY, awaiting P/U and forwarding. It is in excellent shape. I must say it was surprising to see it at the OMID interchange.

by roadster

Clearblock,
Remember, 49 is combined with 449 from Boston at Renselear, and is switched out. This would be the most likely place and time to add the PV to 49. I also noted the Kodak local from Rochester B794 was sent to Lyons NY last thursday night. I suspect it may have assigned to a special move to get the car to Rochester NY, but I haven't been able to contact with my friends in Rochester to confirm this.

by videobruce

clearblock wrote:The reason I believe the car will be routed to NY and not Rensselaer is that all trains from the Falls run through to NY. It would involve a significant delay to hold an eastbound train at Rensselaer while the car is switched out and would also delay 49 to add another switching move.

It is simpler to stick the car on the end of anything going to NY. Then, while the train sits idle after arrival at NY, a switcher pulls the car off of that consist and sticks it on a consist being made up for a Chicago train.
All they have to do is close the angle cocks, disconnect any cables and pull the pin. Away the EB goes..................

by jhdeasy

clearblock wrote:It would involve a significant delay to hold an eastbound train at Rensselaer while the car is switched out and would also delay 49 to add another switching move.

Amtrak is willing to switch PVs into and out of consists at Albany - Rensselaer.