• New VRE locomotives should be in service this week.

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by davinp

According to April Operation Board Minutes:
"Mr. Zehner reported that VRE has leased and received two overhauled locomotives, which should go into service next week. A third unit will arrive next week. This will help minimize any locomotive issues or problems".

The meeting was last Friday, April 18, so it should be this week. However, I've not seem them and Train #300/307 is missing a locomotive. It needs 2 to pull/push 8 cars.

http://www.vre.org/about/Ops_board_item ... -18-08.pdf

by TallEddie_81

I ride 302 and 309, and 301 every other firday. I have not seen the new locomotive yet, but I am on the lookout.

It is intersting that 300/307 still need 2 locomotives. I remember reading somewhere that the reason they moved the equipment around on the Fredericksburg line was to eliminate that need. They divided up the kawasakis from 300/307 into 2 trainsets, and used all new gallery cars for 300/307. It was thought that using all new cars on the train would eliminate the need for 2 locomotives, thereby freeing one up. Guess that didn't work.

by davinp

TallEddie_81 wrote:I ride 302 and 309, and 301 every other firday. I have not seen the new locomotive yet, but I am on the lookout.

It is intersting that 300/307 still need 2 locomotives. I remember reading somewhere that the reason they moved the equipment around on the Fredericksburg line was to eliminate that need. They divided up the kawasakis from 300/307 into 2 trainsets, and used all new gallery cars for 300/307. It was thought that using all new cars on the train would eliminate the need for 2 locomotives, thereby freeing one up. Guess that didn't work.
You maybe right that it only the 8 car gallery set of Train 300/307 just needs one locomotive.

by HokieNav

V35 sighted - parked up in Ivy City (right where V33 was before it was shipped off) yesterday afternoon and again this morning, so it looks like this week is the week for you VRE guys.