• Niagara's on the B&A ?

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by stickpilot

Any NYC Experts out there?
My friend claims that he read where one or some Niagras have been on the B&A as far as Acton but for height reasons thats as far as they went.
He's not sure where he read this and is usually correct but in this case we are puzzled .
Any truth to this ?

by johnpbarlow

The Boston and Albany didn't run to Acton, MA (B&M ran to South Acton). Perhaps you meant Allston, where Beacon Park yard is? I believe the largest steam engines run on the B&A were Mohawks and Berkshires but no Niagaras. But this was before my time...

by Noel Weaver

I pulled Boston & Albany timetable no. 158 which was dated June 19, 1949
from my collection and checked thoroughly and could find no restrictions
for "S" class steam engines in so far as the main tracks were concerned.
They were not allowed east of Beacon Park nor on some tracks as
specified in the timetable nor on some of the branches. Top passenger
speed was 65 MPH and "S" class engines were allowed 65 MPH.
This does not mean that these engines were regularly ued on the B & A,
only that they were not officially restricted. In later years railroads
sometimes had unwritten restrictions on certain engines but it was never
put in the timetables for some reason.
Noel Weaver

by w.r.branch

Your best chance for the definitive answer on this one? Give Bob Buck a call at Tucker's Hobbies in Warren during regular business hours, 10-5 each day. (413-436-5318) Bob is probably the most knowledgable B&A expert in this area. He is also a member of our Railroad Advisory Board. If Bob doesn't know, I can't think of anyone else besides the Directors of the New York Central System Historical Society who would.

by stickpilot

Thanks for the replies , I will pass along the info to my friend.

by l008com

This is definitely one of those "double take" thread titles :-)

by stickpilot

I hope to call Bob this week and get the lowdown, yes this is one of those "Doubletake" threads!
Will try and post Bob's answer if I get time and thanks again to all.

by superwarp1

Hey Sticky,

I'm going to need proof. Photos are a must :wink:
  by henry6

Remember speed wasn't the restriction on engines except for type of service. Weight on the rails and bridges was the main factor followed by wheel base rigidity on curves then height and width measurements and adhesion/tractive effort on grades.

by Otto Vondrak

[moved to the New York Central Forum - omv]

by Pat Fahey

Hi all

The NYC Niagaras on report's that I have read,,only when as far as Springfield, Mass,,,on the B&A,,,because of height restrictions,,on the B&A... But no pictures,,exsist,,,too prove this,,,????

Try contacting the NYCSHS,,at there Web site,,,maybe for a more

direct answer,,,Pat.

by superwarp1

It sure would be nice to see

by stickpilot

Spoke with Bob Buck today and he could not recall any instance of Niagras on the B&A but he said that doesn't mean they were not ever on the line.
Looks like we have a post with some input to Niagras into Spfld. so the answer is still vague as to this happened or not.
Bob said Mowhawks 3000s & 3100s used the line as far as South Station and he did see NYC Streamlined Hudsons from the Empire Express himself.

Any input welcome!

by johnpbarlow

BTW, I hate to pick nits but there is a difference between a "Niagara", a NYC 4-8-4, and a "Niagra", which is what NdeM called its 4-8-4 arrangement. Here's an excerpt from a link found by Google search of "Niagra +NdeM":

Originally Posted by fitz
Thanks, Ed. Very informative. I, too, like the Niagra, as NdeM called them.

You're right about that, of course. You know, I tend to go back and forth the way I spell them, usually depending on whether I'm writing to a Spanish speaking audience down here, or a NOB discussion board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytec
...but it sure isn't one of the real Niagaras...

Story is that the NdeM motive power reps were touring the factory where the NYC Niagaras were being assembled. They were impressed by them, and decided to use the same name (Mexicanized) for the 4-8-4's that they ordered, even though they were a lot smaller.

Interesting item. I think there are 12 Niagaras (Niagras) on display down here, none in operating condition. But there is one of the NdeM 4-8-4's up north at the New Hope & Ivyland Railroad. It's been stripped down for some time, with no word on whether the restoration was stalled or just slow rolling. Just today I heard that the NH&I had recently placed orders for new flues for the loco. So there may still be hope to ride behind one of the NdeM Niagaras one day.

Regards

Ed
http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/sho ... 779&page=2