Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by jtrain22

1]There are R160As running full time on the M line.

2]Theres is one set of R42s on the A line. Expect more R42s to hit the A line over the next coming months. These R42 sets will replace the phase I R32s at pikin yard.

3]Some phase II R32s from jamaica have been retired. The phase I R32 from pikin will replace the phase II R32s from jamaica yard.

4]Expect to see R40Ms from the B come to the A line. Once more R160s come into service and R68s come on the B. The R40Ms will overflow to the A line.

thats about it if i forgot something feel free to add.

by Robert Paniagua

I hope they save those retired R32s, they were unique and nostalgic. Don't scrap them!!

by Kamen Rider

Transit doesn't scrap any more, it reefs. and the R32s will be reefed.

by Robert Paniagua

Well still, they shouldn't reef them, they ought to be kept for work motors or for fantrips or for contingency purposes. I wouldn't reef/scrap them.

Save the R32s! :-)

by jtrain22

Robert Paniagua wrote:I hope they save those retired R32s, they were unique and nostalgic. Don't scrap them!!
They will save a pair for the museum most likey. And they might restore one car to their pre GOH look. Being that they restored the R30s and R36WF to its pre GOH look....

by Kamen Rider

Robert Paniagua wrote:Well still, they shouldn't reef them, they ought to be kept for work motors or for fantrips or for contingency purposes. I wouldn't reef/scrap them.

Save the R32s! :-)
they're useless as work motors. the TA only uses A div size cars, with the sole exception of the R40 garbage trains in summer as the R127/134s don't have AC.

by Robert Paniagua

they're useless as work motors. the TA only uses A div size cars, with the sole exception of the R40 garbage trains in summer as the R127/134s don't have AC.

OIC, The R33/36/22/21s are better suited the, probably so that it can go throughout the entire system both A div and B div since the longer cars of the B division are too long for A division operation.

by CComMack

Earlier rumors had the R-38s and R-44s slated for reefing before the R-32s. Why the change? Have the delays in R-160 delivery put the kibosh on running the R-32s any longer, now that they're 44 years old?

by jtrain22

CComMack wrote:Earlier rumors had the R-38s and R-44s slated for reefing before the R-32s. Why the change? Have the delays in R-160 delivery put the kibosh on running the R-32s any longer, now that they're 44 years old?
The phase II R32s are currently getting reefed along with the R38s. The phase I R32s are staying and are going to jamaica yard. The R44s will get an mini overhaul to extend their life a few years. And then will be repalced by the R179s in 2015 i belive. So the phase I R32s and the R44s will be around for a while..

by arrow

Glad to hear the R44s will be around for awhile longer, I always enjoy riding in those. Now that the A train is getting some of the B's R40s, the ride won't be quite as nice.