• North Shore Operations

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by mountie17

Good afternoon all, at some point later this month I would like to visit the North Shore RR, but need a lot of info on their operations. I know they operate out of Northumberland, but thats about it. So my questions are:
What's their radio frequencies?
What days do they normally run?
Where do they usually go?
And is there roads to follow and chase them?
  by 2nd trick op

Operation usually consists of a Monday-Friday local, Northumberland to Berwick and return. The trackage north of Berwick to the Susquehanna (PP&L) nuclear plant is intact, but moves are very rare. On a positive note, operation is normally during daylight hours. You can usually catch the move working the Del Monte and R R Donnelly plants a few miles north of Bloomsburg in the early afternoon.

The line closely paralells US 11 between Northumberland and Danville, and between Bloomsburg and Briar Creek, three miles south of Berwick. Between Danville and Bloomsburg, it follows the river, but is easily viewed from local roads, which will rejoin Penna Route 42 opposite Catawissa.

The line maintains a small yard in Berwick, opposite the Wise Foods plant on Susquehanna Avenue. From there, it climbs a steep embankment to access the former American Car and Foundry plant, crossing US 11 at Front and Oak Streets, with a few short blocks of street running.

As an aside, there is much more traffic on the former PRR trackage on the opposite bank of the river. This line can be followed via local roads and Penna 239) between Mifflinville (6 miles south of Nescopeck) and Mocanaqua (11 miles north). The line sees 8-12 moves daily, but not much before 3:00 PM.

by mountie17

Thanks for the info, it will be very helpful within the next few weeks.

by kmorg29

I've notice that the North Shore has only been making trips up to Berwick on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. They usually make it to Berwick somewhere around 10AM to 12. Lately around 10:30-11.

North Shore frequencies are 160.45500 and 160.72500.

by DH7409

How about their other operation out of there?

Tim