• NYSW Chase 9/05/04

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by trainfreak

We were able to chase the Q271 for a little bit yesterday. It was a
very good chase as the longest wait for it was only 10 minutes. In
total we saw it in three locations here are my photos.

Here it is at Rich's Deli.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=42321

Next spot was Edison Rd in Ogdensburg.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=42322

After a quick stop at Walmart we caught it at ZINC going under the
viaduct.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... x?id=42323

It was a pretty good chase if only the weather was a little better.
I hope everyone likes the pictures.

by Lackawanna484

Suskie chases can be a lot of fun. The line has a lot of direction changes (sun angles), and can be a challenge.

One location I wish they (!) would improve is the end of the four lane highway in Sparta. The pond on the north side of the track is totally overgrown

A recrew on the Southern Div suggests they made very bad time, or wasted a lot of setup, or recycled the NYSW local crew. 84 miles in 12 hours isn't a scorch the ballast pace...

by trainfreak

Yeah NYSW chases are always fun that was my first chase in a while. The reason they had to have a crew change was because they had a local crew take it out of WS and run it up to Vernon where they then took a road crew and then put them on the train.

by rcbsd45

OK, Jeff, so where were ya today, Labor Day? the SU-100/Q162 combo came through Franklin at midday and I expected to hear from you on the boards about catching this nice eastbound! 6 units, three on line, three isolated, 59 freight, and 65 "buckets" for Port Newark. Chased it from Franklin to Little Ferry where it arrived at about 3:30PM. Great day weatherwise for a chase, and as I hadn't been on one in some time, it worked out well!

by trainfreak

Well lets see today...i had to work on my neighbors lawn for about 20 minutes. And i think that in that time span the 100 must have gotten its Form D from Pelton as about 15 minutes after i got in they called clear of LIME. I really wish i had caught this one as it must have been some train to see. But since i saw the Q271 yesterday i just said oh well i guess ill miss this one.

by David

Jeff--Where is "LIME"? Is it near or at Limecrest?--Thanks--David

by trainfreak

LIME is pretty much right at the Limecrest. That was the first time in a while i heard them call clear of LIME and not clear of SJ since that is usually the norm.

by David

trainfreak wrote:LIME is pretty much right at the Limecrest. That was the first time in a while i heard them call clear of LIME and not clear of SJ since that is usually the norm.
Does it mean that the quarry at Limecrest is receiving cars there again? When was the last time they did?--Thanks--David

by Lackawanna484

I suspect there may have been a train / or high rail at LIME last night.

When I heard 3014 take his orders at Butler, the orders went to milepost 64 only. They usually get orders all the way out to Pelton if there's no obstructing movement.

they may have high railed the line in view of the torrential rains in the NW corner of NJ, and there are fairly specific rules about how closely you can follow a high-rail, etc.

by lhrfan

Block sign LIME is at the switch where the "new" connection leaves the old L&HR. SJ is a several hundred feet L&HR-west of LIME, and Limecrest is about 3/4 of a mile (approx) west of SJ. The railroad hasn't served the quarry for quite a few years. I think they may be storing BOC Gases tank cars on the old L&HR main near the quarry.

Bill