• Wreck at E'port

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by chief

any body hear about a wreck in e'port yard last night.i was told the remote loco went crazy. true or false. CSX is not talking
Thanks------CHIEF
  by Noel Weaver

chief wrote:any body hear about a wreck in e'port yard last night.i was told the remote loco went crazy. true or false. CSX is not talking
Thanks------CHIEF
I think that if this actually occurred, it was on Conrail Shared Assets and
not CSX.
Noel Weaver

by SimTrains

Help me out...e'port?? This would be where?? The remote went crazy?? CSX isn't talking???? Did you call them and ask for a statement or something?? What exactly went so horribly wrong with the remotes that they were the cause of a wreck???

by Flat-Wheeler

????? I'm dumbfounded by this too... Could it be Eastport, Pa. ? I don't have any clue either. Nothing has come up in the news about it.

by Steve F45

Could be E'port in Elizabeth,NJ. Was the former site of the CNJ shops and now has some tracks left for tankers I believe. Im not sure if CSX works that far south.

by mu26aeh

where is the original poster if he was looking for this information, I'd figure he'd be back at least once in a week to see if anyone posted anything, then he could answer your questions

by fetzdog121

it says he lives in laxawaxen, pa so it might be Eastport. This is pure speculation on my part though.

by GOLDEN-ARM

Steve F45 wrote: .....now has some tracks left for tankers I believe.
What exactlly are these "tankers" you're speaking about? Did you mean tank cars? :P

Remotes don't go "crazy". Operators do occasionally lose control, but it's through their own actions (or inactions), not that of the "crazy remotes". In case you haven't figured it out, railroads are none too keen, about reporting "unusual occurances' related to remote control operations. Not to the Feds, and certainly not to John Q. Railfan. Regards :wink:

by Steve F45

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:
Steve F45 wrote: .....now has some tracks left for tankers I believe.
What exactlly are these "tankers" you're speaking about? Did you mean tank cars? :P

Remotes don't go "crazy". Operators do occasionally lose control, but it's through their own actions (or inactions), not that of the "crazy remotes". In case you haven't figured it out, railroads are none too keen, about reporting "unusual occurances' related to remote control operations. Not to the Feds, and certainly not to John Q. Railfan. Regards :wink:
GA, yea i meant tank cars. those long tubular looking thingies on wheels. :wink:

by GOLDEN-ARM

"Thingies"......? Oh, ya meant whachamacallits? Thingamabobs? Whosiewhatzits? :P Just a thing that makes railroaders think about non-railroad things. Tankers........ :( (long tubular things on wheels. Axles? :P )

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

accidents happen everyday in rail yards, but never make the news. the only way people find out about them is by crews talking. Every time an accident happens in a yard, a RR must notify the FRA, correct? or do they just keep it on the DL and rerail the equipment?

by SimTrains

FRA reportable incidents are based on money. If the cost of the derailment exceeds a certain amount it becomes "reportable". Simple single wheel or single truck derailments which don't cost anything but man hours to fix usually are not reportable.