• door sensors

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by rail10

What type of door sensor is used for detecting obstructions on doorways in the metrorail system?
  by Sand Box John

"rail10"
What type of door sensor is used for detecting obstructions on doorways in the metrorail system?

The doors don't have sensors on them like one would find on a conventional elevator door. There are switches in the door closing mechanisms that sense when the door is fully closed.
  by rail10

I will like to thanks for answering my question about the metrorail doors .My question is are there any plans to install door sensors to detect obstruction in the metrorail system?
  by rail10

I will like to thanks for answering my question about the metrorail doors .My question is are there any plans to install door sensors to detect obstruction in the metrorail system?
  by WMATAGMOAGH

rail10 wrote:I will like to thanks for answering my question about the metrorail doors .My question is are there any plans to install door sensors to detect obstruction in the metrorail system?
No. If those doors operated like elevator doors and opened everytime they were blocked, trains would never move.

It would be interesting to see if they install a system on the 7000 Series cars like they have on the R142/R142A/R143/R160A/R160B cars in New York City, where if a door is blocked, the conductor can open and close only that door to get it to close. Additionally, the door automatically opens and closes up to 3 times if it senses an obstruction while closing.
  by Mirai Zikasu

WMATAGMOAGH wrote:It would be interesting to see if they install a system on the 7000 Series cars like they have on the R142/R142A/R143/R160A/R160B cars in New York City, where if a door is blocked, the conductor can open and close only that door to get it to close. Additionally, the door automatically opens and closes up to 3 times if it senses an obstruction while closing.
It sounds like a good idea to me. Considering how many times I've watched operators have to open and close doors three or four ties at any given station and how I've been on a few terminated trains due to door failure, I image that it must be some nasty wear and tear to keep having to open and close all at once. Hopefully, something like that would help to reduce door failure. Also, I believe I remember hearing that the MTA does much more testing on its cars than Metro. Considering that and how such a system is installed on five different subway models, would it be safe to assume that the system is pretty much thoroughly tried-and-true?

by LossOfCCU

Good question. 2 k 3 k 6 k doors are built by IFe. To detect obstructions at door the micro proccesor or local door control unit reads input data from the micro switches. the door lock switch, door closed switch, the door position sensor, and the ldcu unit has parameters.