• Where are the 6000 series cars?

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by tommyboy6181

It be hard to call any car ugly since they all essentially look the same. If anything, the Alstoms get the ugly award due to their rounded windows in the front.
Wouldn't the Breda 4000 series cars also qualify for the ugly award with their rounded front windows, minus the bulkhead door? :wink:

Supposedly the blue and yellow lines are next up for the 6000 series cars. From what Metro is saying, they are going to convert several 4-car trains into 6-cars finally. Only thing I wonder is that out of the 106 cars they say are now in service, how many are actually not in the shop being fixed or receiving the FMI?

http://www.wmata.com/about/met_news/story.cfm?ID=1463

by red-orange line

The Red and Orange lines will soon begin to see more 6000s as they will most likely start to add more 8 car trains to these lines when they are done with the Blue and Yellow lines.

by Mike Morris

I think 50 sets of 6000s are out of service.
One set 6050/51 is in the old shop at New Carrolton. It was used as parts train to help others pass acceptance. It failed tests back in December and was never fixed.
Want to guess who is rebuilding and fixing it now?
If you want to check it out in person PM me.

by Mike Morris

I saw 6ks at Greenbelt,New Carrolton and Branch ave yards sitting between revenue just today. They are out there now. All over the place.

Here is the one that was a parts car and is now being ready to be sold! Sitting at the old shop in New Carrolton my home!!

by Mike Morris

by Mike Morris

Anyone want a shot of anything off this train?

by tommyboy6181

Hmm...where would that set be going if sold? I'll take a crack and say Alstom had some role in the rebuilding of that set.

by HokieNav

Lots of good info here, thanks!

What's the newest of the 6000 series out there these days? I got aboard a green line train and noticed that "new car" smell - looking around the car (6145) looked to be spotless, there weren't even advertisements installed in the "picture frames" yet.

Was this one just placed into service? How many 6000 cars are there going to be eventually once they're all in service?

by Sand Box John

"HokieNav"Lots of good info here, thanks!

What's the newest of the 6000 series out there these days? I got aboard a green line train and noticed that "new car" smell - looking around the car (6145) looked to be spotless, there weren't even advertisements installed in the "picture frames" yet.

Was this one just placed into service? How many 6000 cars are there going to be eventually once they're all in service?

The total Alstom procurement is 184 cars.

by Mike Morris

In regards to what one is the newest is hard to answer.
6064/6065 is at New Carrollton right now. Deadline for acceptance is Friday. Not going to make it-waiting on parts. However that train is over a year old and was damaged heavily on the transport from NY. Was used as parts train to rebuild the one pictured earlier in the thread a month ago and was sitting outside of Greenbelt rusting away. It was just about a rolling shell when it arrived to the old shop of New Carrolton. WMATA was out of brake pads and even took them off when it arrived there.
I know at Hornell they are waiting on parts too. I don't think there is a new pair at Greenbelt now waiting to be bought SO
the newest to hit the fleet will be 6064/65 when its done. That should be in two weeks.
New FMIs on the 6K include door shim reassembly and high temp tie wraps installed on the wiring on the inside of the heater ducts on the floor.

Some thoughts on the 6K

They ride REALLY nice and are very quiet.
Fastener quality is horrible.
Trucks are similiar to the 5K/1k set up. Brakes are by KNORR.
You can now read problems with the doors via computer mounted underneath the seats at the rear middle of the cars
Agate is the same as the rehabbed 2K.3K sans programming software.
From the front they are easy to spot-look at the front windows and the shape
More signs than before-one is now mounted in the middle of the train. SEPTSA like the 2-3K rehab does the signs.
FMIs-tons of them. Expect 2-3 years of them.

by tbonejo

The next set should be 6178-6179 making their way down. Those were wrapped up this last week.

by Robert Paniagua

Oh good, that's showing some progress to the 6k units, hopefully the order will be complete by the end of this calendar year. And like Mike Morris said, they are quiet, not much noise, and the railfan front windows are clear, even the cab access door's window which usually has a curtain does not have such curtain obstructing the view out that window, which is kinda interesting.

by Mike Morris

6178/79 sold today!
6142/43 sold today too!!

by tommyboy6181

6178/79 sold today!
6142/43 sold today too!!
Were these also used as parts cars to help others pass acceptance tests? Any idea on who they were sold to?
  by LossOfCCU

The only way the 6 k 2k 3 k trains pass prerevenue or acceptance is going down hill. With alstom prop division installing new software to correct relaiability issues this train do not accelerate for shit. Forget about testing trains any where else. 6k project has 2 more cars left for transport to greenbelt. Oh to pass the test lets seperate the performance test. Do dynamic one day n performance another day. great lets waste more tax payers money.