• ALCOs in the Conrail deadline at Altoona

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by erielackawanna

Thought I would share some shots from the Altoona dead line, taken on December 30, 1978.

First, C628 #6743, which seems to have lost it's windshields. I wonder if these were busted out, or re-used?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 88&nseq=19

And the second shot is EL RS3 (CR renumbered 5255)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 89&nseq=18

Charles Freericks

by Richard Glueck

No matter what anyone might say about ALCO's, they were great looking locomotive designs, hands down. Your photos remind me of a visit I made to the deadline in Altoona on July 04, 1970, with a friend. HUndreds of old Diesels were lined up, including the remainder of all NYC, NH, PRR, Fairbanks Morse units, Baldwins, and some selected other rare birds. I took pictures, but sadly, not enough. I would love to go back in time and wander through those lines.

by AdamCKach

Richard Glueck wrote:I took pictures, but sadly, not enough. I would love to go back in time and wander through those lines.
From doing this at the LV's Coxton Yard (now privately owned), I echo those sentiments. Whether it's a decrepit roundhouse, rusted hulk of a locomotive, etc., when it's gone, it's gone. This reality has forced me to take insane numbers of photos from every possible angle.

by Richard Glueck

I remember the E-L's Croxton Yard, and all the great old locomotives being lined up for service near to old coal towers. You could get wonderful shots of ALCO, GE, EMD, and a Baldwin slug over there. Not far away were the GG1's racing into the tunnels.

by greenwichlirr

Wasn't Croxton the place where all of those old O&W F units sat for years in the 60's?

by Richard Glueck

I can't tell you with authority, but I seem to recall something about that.

by trainwayne1

From "New York Ontario & Western in the Diesel Age" by Robert Mohowski...

FT set 601, 801-805, 808
sold to dealer Harold Gottfried June 1957 for $155,000, intended for resale to Mexico. After years in storage , acquired by NYC for trade in to EMD and scraped in 1968. National Metal and Steel Corp. of Terminal Island CA paid $63,000 for 806, 807 on June 27, 1957 and sold them to B&O, where the A-units became 4412 and 4413 , and the B units 5412 and 5413. Traded in to EMD 1962.

F3 821-822 (4 units) were sold to Erie in June 1957 for general freight service as 714 A, B, C, D. After the EL merger in 1960 they became EL 7141-7144. Both A units traded to EMD in 1965. The former 822B was damaged in a wreck at Sterling Ohio in 1966 and scrapped with the 821B that year.